Events/Trails White Rim trail over Thanksgiving: 11/28 - 11/30 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Travel day, Wed 11/27 - camp wherever.

Entry - near Island in the Sky visitor center
1st night, 11/28 - Gooseberry
2nd night 11/29 - Potato Bottom B
3rd night 11/30 - Hardscrabble
Exit - Shafer swtichback

Attendees:
Ali
Pappy - confirmed.
Vince

I'm still confused. I thought the Shafer switchback was the way we are coming in by the Visitor Center.

Thanks Vince.

Just confirmed the res with a very helpful ranger named Bruce. He advised us to bring chains 🤪

He advised us to bring chains 🤪

Uh? All I saw was stupid cold in the forecast. I didn't see anything about snow.

Are we going to be able to get our permit on Thursday (Thanksgiving), or do we need to get it on Wednesday?

Uh? All I saw was stupid cold in the forecast. I didn't see anything about snow.

Are we going to be able to get our permit on Thursday (Thanksgiving), or do we need to get it on Wednesday?

I have the permit emailed to me today. But, I'll call them on Wed just to see if I can get diff camp sites that are more evenly spaced apart. I bet there'll be cancellations due to the cold temps.

The chains are for wet, clay mud as well as snow. I'll bring all of mine.

Vince - you got one of them 20# propane bottle and a fake camp fire dealio?

Copy. I'll bring my chains. I just looked at the latest forecast and sure 'nuf there is a 40% chance of snow.

I have the permit emailed to me today. But, I'll call them on Wed just to see if I can get diff camp sites that are more evenly spaced apart. I bet there'll be cancellations due to the cold temps.

Vince - you got one of them 20# propane bottle and a fake camp fire dealio?

Unfortunately no. Will rear chains be good enough?

Vince

rear chains will be plenty and we'll prolly won't even need them!

Unfortunately no. Will rear chains be good enough?

Vince

Rear chains? You driving a 2wheel drive? I've always only used one set and put them on the front.

Rear chains? You driving a 2wheel drive? I've always only used one set and put them on the front.

The Twendys have clearance issues because of the KDSS and bigger than stock tires. I may rough it and take the 80. 😂

The Twendys have clearance issues because of the KDSS and bigger than stock tires. I may rough it and take the 80. 😂
I was just wondering what to call 200s. I was thinking 'Ton-dees' sounded good.

Gotcha. I just had to put spacers on my LX470 because I didnt have enough clearance between the tire and control arm for chains.

Have a great trip and an awesome Thanksgiving!

Well just starting to snow in ABQ...
Guessing no news is good! Gave a good trip

Edit:
According to inreach you’re at Williams Bottom campground along the Colorado just outside of Moab and radar is showing overcast. Looks like wind will be the biggest problem tomorrow.

Last edited:
No snow falling. There was nice snow on the ground in Moab.

20191128_092136.jpg

The mud stopped us 😟 as we were headed to Murphy's camping spot, so we turned around. That steep hill is no joke! Pappy and I walked it and it just got steeper and the grounds it's totally saturated.

20191129_105919.jpg

20191129_105848.jpg

like, not like!

We did not. Stopped by mud and had to retreat. We are in Moab eating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom