Which side of the coil is negative? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a tach in a 1982 FJ40. I need to tap the negative side of the coil, but there are no markings on the coil and the wires are both same color (all original wiring and coil, I think). The wires all seem to go to the igniter on top. Both post on the coil complete a circuit to ground on the chassis with no power on at the switch. How else might I see which is negative?

signal-2021-09-09-185639_001.jpeg

If the 12v marking is near a terminal. that will be positive. With the ignition on you should only get a voltage reading from one terminal. That will be positive. If you are getting a reading from both terminals you may have to disconnect both wires and test them both with the ignition on. You can use a test light if no multimetre.

If the 12v marking is near a terminal. that will be positive. With the ignition on you should only get a voltage reading from one terminal. That will be positive. If you are getting a reading from both terminals you may have to disconnect both wires and test them both with the ignition on. You can use a test light if no multimetre.
You are correct! Thanks... I did have to disconnect the wires...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom