Which one to keep and build or combine the two (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So earlier in the year, I picked up my first 80 series for an overland type build. Basically something the kids and I can hit the off road parks with, camp out of, and embarrass a few heeps with along the way (my completed rig will have a sticker that reads: “Jeeps are cute, Barbie has one”).

It’s a '96, Alabama truck (no rust, clear coat, or paint fade issues) with 287k on the clock. Drove over 4 hours away to look at it, ended up buying it, as it does have the "magic button” on the dash which is of major importance. She drove flawlessly on the 4-hour trip back home, at times exceeding 80 mph; averaging 17.4 mpg. Overall, I couldn't be happier with this rig.

The only cons to this truck: no service records, whatsoever, leaky engine; from what I know so far, just the common few drops of oil on the garage floor - no biggie, as that can be a winter project replacing seals, gaskets, etc, dented front passenger front fender (again, no biggie, and probably won’t even worry about addressing it), and the driver side door is tweaked and needs replaced – I’ve worked, and worked on this, but the upper part of the door frame looks as if someone was backing up with the door open, and hit something in the process, and really jacked the top of the door frame up, thus not sealing, creating a lot of wind noise on dry days, and allowing water to get in on rainy days. The interior is pretty plain, but not bad, after getting everything cleaned up, with the typical cracked front seats, power antenna not working, seat gears and caps in need of replacement, windows all functioning, albeit slowly, but nothing I don’t think new gaskets and window seals won’t cure. And, there may or may not be an issue with the AC on this truck. I need to get a belt for the compressor.

Herein lies the dilemma: I recently stumbled upon a LX450 with 250k miles on the clock cheap enough that an older couple had, and needed to sell, as they were moving to Florida. The price was what I considered right, and without much hesitation, I bought it… maybe this land cruiser stuff is an addiction?

Anyways, I wasn’t sure what I was getting into, but from talking with the couple for a while, I got a good feeling that this truck had been well taken care of – maintenance wise, that is. And it looks really nice cosmetically on the exterior, with very few rust issues, that I’ll expand upon in a minute.

You see, he was a heavy smoker, puffing on one cigarette after another all while having tubes from an oxygen tank inserted in his nostrils to aid in his breathing. Did I mention they were selling out and moving to Florida? Although I’m not much of a television watcher, when I took the truck for a test drive, it looked like an episode of the television show “Hoarders” that I’ve heard so much about, as there was barely room for me and my passenger in the front seats from all the “stuff” that was piled in the truck. Did I mention there was a pistol laying on the back floorboard when we took it for the test drive, lol. So it was a nice, warm sunny day, and we rolled the windows up, and cranked up the AC – viola! Nice cold air – but the downside – they were heavy smokers, and the truck smelled like a$$ from the cigarette smoke, and there was residue from presumably non-filter cigs dripping from anything and everything including the headliner, so the AC test was short lived.

Cut to today, after putting much time, effort, and elbow grease in to getting the LX cleaned up, and the interior is plush – I mean practically new looking. I don’t know if there is that much difference between the LC and the LX, but the carpets, headliner and everything besides the typical seats of this era, look great for a 20-year-old vehicle.

So, the only real cons to this truck are few: no lockers; a dent in the driver’s side of rear tailgate, the rust spots – 2 on the front hood, which even though I’m not a body guy, have started to “fix” by use of a needle scaler, angle grinder, and a package of JB Weld. The other, is a what was a bubbled up spot on the rear hatch, just below the window gasket, which after tackling this with the needle scaler, is now an approximate 1” tall by 3” wide hole, just to the right and above the latch. And there is one spot on the DS rear wheel well, toward the front, where it appears there is a backing plate that the passenger seat belt is bolted to, that appears easy enough to replace? Other than that, cosmetically, you’d be hard pressed to find a 20-year-old truck in better cosmetic shape. Disclaimer: I’m not a huge fan of the Tupperware on the Lexus, but given the alternative of having to plug the 100+ holes that it attaches to, it will remain for a while. Oh, and someone stole both the cats off this truck, so in order to get the CEL light off, I’d assume one would have to replace those?

I like them both, but I really like how the interior of the LX turned out. It’s amazing what some time, removing the carpet, a power washer and a carpet shampooer will do.

Should I tackle switching the lockers from the LC to the LX and keep it, or just sell the LX as is to fund the needed maintenance and mods on the LC?

Thanks for taking the time to read, and your opinions are valued, and appreciated!

If it were me I'd keep the truck with lockers and figure out how to get the door frame fixed with the proceeds from the LX sale.

Can you ever really completely remove the cigarette from a vehicle that was smoked in for a long period of time? I haven't been able to.

We will need pictures as well to help with the decision.

Locked LC

IMG_3486.JPG

there are a couple products out there as well as some write ups on here as to how to use to clean out the a/c condensor

BG makes one
another is Frigi-fresh

several youtube videos out there also

Looks like you have room for a parts rig. It will pay for itself really quick.

If it were me I'd keep the truck with lockers and figure out how to get the door frame fixed with the proceeds from the LX sale.
I'm leaning that way, but man the LX is nice. From what I've searched on this forum, it doesn't appear to be too big of a job to switch the lockers from the LC to the LX, and it may even be a plug and play on the electronics going from the LC to the LX?

Looks like you have room for a parts rig. It will pay for itself really quick.
Lol, as it always happens, I had given up on finding an 80 after searching for over a year, and settled on a 3rd gen 4runner to build. So, I'm still finishing that one up, recently picked up a '74 40 project, and have my all time garage queen, '12 trail teams cruiser with 10k miles that has only seen rain twice, let alone any Indiana snows, lol

Keep the LC with lockers. Your description of the LX brings back memories of an inspection I did on a LC years ago for a Mud member in Texas on a local to me truck. Owner out here was a heavy smoker and I damn near gaged on the test drive, even with windows down! Yuck! :confused: It was awful in an otherwise nice truck. TX guy bought it anyway.

I've used the BG product just to clean out all the dust smell from desert driving. Worked great. Two step process as I recall. Step one was to drill a small hole to insert a reusable connection into the condenser right below the PS glove compartment. Using that port inject a cleaning agent with AC running. Step two was to spray some cleaner into the AC intake behind the front hood next to the windshield. Made a difference in the AC smell of dust!

Keep the LC with lockers. Your description of the LX brings back memories of an inspection I did on a LC years ago for a Mud member in Texas on a local to me truck. Owner out here was a heavy smoker and I damn near gaged on the test drive, even with windows down! Yuck! :confused: It was awful in an otherwise nice truck. TX guy bought it anyway.

I've used the BG product just to clean out all the dust smell from desert driving. Worked great. Two step process as I recall. Step one was to drill a small hole to insert a reusable connection into the condenser right below the PS glove compartment. Using that port inject a cleaning agent with AC running. Step two was to spray some cleaner into the AC intake behind the front hood next to the windshield. Made a difference in the AC smell of dust!

Good point. For the most part the smell is all but gone, but it has not been drove, or the AC ran since I've started putting the interior back together. I washed, scrubbed, used some of the most unorthodox methods you can think of to get rid of the stench from what it was.

Not sure if this works for the interior of a vehicle but the best method i've used to get the cigarette smell (or campfire smell) from clothes and gear is lots of fresh air and sunshine.

Both trucks look nice but I personally would have a hard time if there was any lingering cigarette smell. Good luck either way!

I'm a big fan of light colored cars so the LX would be my choice. Smell would be back but swapping parts between the two may not be that hard. I like the wheels on the LX's too...hard decision for you!

A truck full of tools and parts is normal for me. I once cleaned out my truck and found a rifle under the seat that I still don't remember where or when I got it. I'm sure I picked it up at a pawn shop or fun show and stuck it under there and never got it out. Nice surprise anyway.

The previous owner of the Pathfinder I fixed up for my daughter apparently drove around with the windows up smoking cheap cigars. I cleaned everything real well, then sprayed every interior surface with Fabreeze. I even sprayed it up into the a/c vents. I made sure to actually get all the cloth wet, even the headliner. A couple of these treatments and it doesn't stink anymore, even when it has sat in the hot sun with the windows rolled up all day.

I bought my 1996 LX from a heavy smoker.
I cleaned, vacuumed, and used other lotions and potions and eventually after a year or two… The smell disappeared!

If I were you I would remove the interior from the LX and stick it into your locked LC. I recently rolled my 1996 Lexus, found a 1997 LX, with atrocious interior. I pulled my carpeting out of my truck, power washed it, took the seats out and will also be swapping out the interior plastics, door cards, etc. etc. etc.

This way you've got the locked truck and only had to swap interiors which is a hell of a lot easier than swapping axles.

After I put the clean interior in my "new" truck I'm going to put my locked axles underneath because the one I purchased is unlocked. I didn't mean to get such a big project but the 80 series addiction is "strong with this one"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom