Which one of these will inflate my tires faster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will keep it short.
I have a single piston ARB compressor to air up my tires. It's a fast compressor but I want it faster.
I have thought about the ARB twin compressor but it's expensive and I can't justify paying for it just to save time.
I have thought about buying this compressor:
If I mount this and run it in the rear with an inverter will it be faster than the ARB twin compressor?
I know it's huge but I have a lot of space.
I didn't' see anyone do this before so I think there must be something wrong with the idea.

Thank you

If you want to air up really fast get a power tank. A 10 or 20lb bottle will let you do a couple of fills for all 4 tires before it needs to be refilled, will take less space, and doesn't need power.

If you want to air up really fast get a power tank. A 10 or 20lb bottle will let you do a couple of fills for all 4 tires before it needs to be refilled, will take less space, and doesn't need power.

Yep. I have a single-piston ARB compressor, a portable generic Chi-co 12-volt compressor, and a Power Tank, and the Power Tank wins hands down by a large factor for speed. The worst thing about having a Power Tank (besides the initial cost) is all your wheeling buddies that will want to use it too.

Yep. I have a single-piston ARB compressor, a portable generic Chi-co 12-volt compressor, and a Power Tank, and the Power Tank wins hands down by a large factor for speed. The worst thing about having a Power Tank (besides the initial cost) is all your wheeling buddies that will want to use it too.
Plenty of DIY threads on building a “power tank“ for +/- $100.

Plenty of DIY threads on building a “power tank“ for +/- $100.
Looks like prices have go up a bit $150-200.

I just checked the price for the power tank, it's $500. Much more expensive than the pump I posted (around $140). Also refilling it seems like a chore. I go off-roading twice a week and sometimes need to air up multiple vehicles.

I will keep it short.
I have a single piston ARB compressor to air up my tires. It's a fast compressor but I want it faster.
I have thought about the ARB twin compressor but it's expensive and I can't justify paying for it just to save time.
If I mount this and run it in the rear with an inverter will it be faster than the ARB twin compressor?
I didn't' see anyone do this before so I think there must be something wrong with the idea.

Thank you

I don’t think you can run a 2hp motor off an inverter supplied by your vehicle electrical system. At least not cheaply.

I don’t think you can run a 2hp motor off an inverter supplied by your vehicle electrical system. At least not cheaply.
Something like this will not work?

Another option is to mount a large tank under the rig somewhere and plumb the arb to that with a pressure switch. Pressurize it just before you finish the day so you have a large supply of 150 to 200 psi air. The cost of that inverter and then the large compressor seem on part with the other air systems we have talked about.

You can also look at using a york compressor run off the motor of you have the space.

Something like this will not work?
I don’t think so. It would run the 2hp motor but I don’t think it will start it. Starting amps are the problem. But hey, you can try.

Edit: On second thought I wouldn't try it: https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/...6c345f2b/Honda_Generator_Wattage_Chart_En.pdf

Last edited:
I will keep it short.

Thank you
If I may add... While the initial investment on the twin ARB is quite high it does do a really nice job over all. Not as fast as the power tank but always there and ready to go. Never requires filling and ARB CS is top notch in the invent you do have an issue. I have used mine for filling tires, to basket balls, to air mattresses. Mount it under the hood and forget about it until you need it. HTH

If I may add... While the initial investment on the twin ARB is quite high it does do a really nice job over all. Not as fast as the power tank but always there and ready to go. Never requires filling and ARB CS is top notch in the invent you do have an issue. I have used mine for filling tires, to basket balls, to air mattresses. Mount it under the hood and forget about it until you need it. HTH
I would also consider ExtremeAire Outback compressor, beats the ARB in all catagories. It’s what I will get when my ARB single dies

I have the extreme outback magnum with a 2.5 gallon tank in my rig. Fill my 40s from 9psi to 28psi in about 10 minutes. You could easily fill two tires at once if you have multiple hoses or a splitter.

I have the extreme outback magnum with a 2.5 gallon tank in my rig. Fill my 40s from 9psi to 28psi in about 10 minutes. You could easily fill two tires at once if you have multiple hoses or a splitter.

If you fill two at once it will take 20 minutes. Just FYI before you try it.

The magic of a power-tank is the regulator. It is designed for very fast flow as compared to normal CO2 regulators. A power tank brand regulator will fill way, way faster than a normal CO2 regulator, having used both.

What will happen if I fill a power tank with normal air? I know it says not to do it, and I am sure there is a good reason. I am just curious.

Just from a quick google:

If you have an air compressor capable of ~3000psi, then you could do it, sure. I have my powertank filled with CO2 at the closest beverage supply place (think beer kegs and whatnot) for like $12. Takes em 5 minutes, and I get a beer while I wait. I did the same with my DIY CO2 setup.

The reason to use CO2 instead of air is because CO2 becomes liquid at relatively low pressure, and air does not. So when you use an air tank, the pressure gets less and less as you let the air out, but CO2 remains a liquid and only the very top converts to gas and expands as you slowly release the pressure on the top of the tank - so the CO2 tank will maintain the same high pressure for tire or air tools until all the liquid is gone (tank is empty).

The reason to use CO2 instead of air is because CO2 becomes liquid at relatively low pressure, and air does not. So when you use an air tank, the pressure gets less and less as you let the air out, but CO2 remains a liquid and only the very top converts to gas and expands as you slowly release the pressure on the top of the tank - so the CO2 tank will maintain the same high pressure for tire or air tools until all the liquid is gone (tank is empty).

CO2 is a funny compound. What you state is true unless the temperature is above 87.9 F. At that point the entire contents changes to a super critical gas and the pressure goes up significantly. Here's a bit of a safety article on handling CO2 cylinders with some good information. Regardless if it's flashing as a liquid or super critical gas you get the same disproportionate volumetric affect vs compressed air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom