Which Oil to Run in the 2H? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

15w40 either delo400 or gulf western top dog xdo

x2 on the penrite and I alternate between the 20W60 and 15W50.

I still haven't figured out which grade I prefer, the semi synth 15W50 doesn't burn and consume like the mineral 20W60 does in the 2H but I'm not convinced semi synth is best long term and the mineral doesn't knock as much as the synth.

Everyone has his own opinion on what kind of oil to use ... with respect ... I prefer the opinion of Toyota’s engineer

From 2H & 12HT engine FSM

Image3.jpg

Rotella and Mobil 1 synthetics are nice. I run 0-40, but if you have dodgy seals it will leak through. The best overall oil for a 2h is new oil. These old engines usualy die of neglect.

In Brisbane get a heavier oil, min 20w-60 mineral or higher, 2H engines get hot in our climate, specially on 3 core radiators. Synth gets thinner when they get hot, hence I use a mineral oil.

Also get a high zinc based oil, Penrite make a "Classic Light Oil" high in zinc for older engines, and low in detergents. its 20w-60 but I have tested this and its on the thinner side, am going to the "Classic Medium" which is high in zinc and rated as a 25w-70 and is recommend for the Tropics. These oils have Sticky Additives added so to cling to internal engine parts which is good if you only drive the 2H on weekends and it sits around all week.

Also be careful which diesel you buy, BP Ultima & Shell diesel are very low in sulphur and it knocks around your IP, if I cannot get the standard truck diesel then I add a litre of Vegie or Canola cooking oil to each tank of diesel.

I run Dynocat 5w-50 fully synthetic in cold climates. Helps the old girl start easier and live longer.

If your worried about leaks then synthetics might not be your thing, but if protecting metal in high heat conditions if a concern then Dino oil is not the best choice. Synthetics are more resistant to breakdown at high temps as well as maintain a stronger fluid film to keep a barrier between your metals, ie bearings. A zink additive is a great idea as many newer generation oils have very low levels of zinc and our style cam shafts suffer at the lobes because of it. Don't think a 5-40 is a light weight oil, it's a 40 weight with additives that make it flow better when cold.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom