Which model 2 post lift to buy to work on a land cruiser ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I asked one of the local cement company if the weather is an issue, and he said that winter pouring is actually better because the concrete cures slower than summer. I have no idea the validity of this statement.

You don't want concrete to dry out too quickly because that stops the chemical reaction. Concrete will reach about 60% of its designed strength in seven days with full rated strength at 28 days - so you typically want to keep it moist for at least seven days.

As you can see in this chart, the strength gain slows down over time. It will continue to gain strength past the 28 days, but so slowly that it is of less value to work to keep it going.

Concrete.png

Clearly, keeping the concrete moist to continuing curing can be an issue in hotter, drier weather. The reaction is exothermic (creates heat), so hot weather plus the generated heat can really dry things out quickly. But you really get no advantage from curing more slowly and you don't want the concrete to freeze - which will also stop the curing. That's why they use thermal blankets to cover concrete placed in winter.

I'd correct the contractor's statement to say "winter placing is actually better because the concrete dries out slower than summer and allows longer curing times."

On compressive strength, anything under 2000psi we consider to just be fill concrete. Structural concrete starts at 2500psi.

Flexural strength is often in the 500psi to 700psi range, though.

I know that people put lifts outside, but I'm not sure I'd do that in an area of regular precipitation or snow. Beyond the motor and electronics, you have the stabilizer and release cables and pulleys. At the very least, I'd recommend regular detailed inspection and lubrication of these components in particular for any lift living outdoors. You mentioned the inspection companies for commercial uses, but few home mechanics are employing such services and it is easy to get complacent about such things - "Well, it worked perfectly the last time I used it, it should be fine."

Thanks for the great explanation and caution about outdoor usage. On top of the elements, I have to worry about the dust in the air during any wind event so keeping things greased and perhaps exploring grease that are conducive for this application is needed. The slide blocks are the only things that I'm worried about. Any rotating parts need to be inspected more frequently due to the outdoor usage, I'm thinking.

It's a question I'd ask the manufacturer specifically - "I'm planning to install this outside - what would your suggestions/requirements for such an installation be?"

It's a question I'd ask the manufacturer specifically - "I'm planning to install this outside - what would your suggestions/requirements for such an installation be?"

I'll do that as I found the contact info for my regional sales manager for Challenger lifts.

Done, Rotary 10k in bay lifts it is!

7FADD522-D3C6-4760-912B-1FC86FF405BC.jpeg

Which one you buying?

These are used lift from local Porsche dealer, they replaced all their lift with matching black color lift with some black lift they got in their extended workshop. Rotary custom made for them with that color and there are in bay lift. You see the power unit mounted up high compare to the regular lift where mounted in the lower position, it has push button on both column to raise and lower the lift and also receptacle on one column and air outlet on the other column. Got them installed for $2k each.

These are used lift from local Porsche dealer, they replaced all their lift with matching black color lift with some black lift they got in their extended workshop. Rotary custom made for them with that color and there are in bay lift. You see the power unit mounted up high compare to the regular lift where mounted in the lower position, it has push button on both column to raise and lower the lift and also receptacle on one column and air outlet on the other column. Got them installed for $2k each.
That is a great deal; stating the obvious! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom