which inverter do you have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt403

SILVER Star
Threads
i'm looking for a 1000W inverter. any suggestions?

Are you going MOD Sine or PRO Sine?

Xantrex for PS, anything else for MS is prolly fine.

do electronics need pro sine?

Thanks for posting this .. I need to know too.

Subscribed.

Will be putting one in my rig, since just got ahold of the Matrix switch and outlet components...Holy C@!* the XANTREX ones are expensive...likely overkill for my needs.

I have a XANTREX 1750 in my 80 . I got it from a wrecked work truck . works very well , I may replace it with a 1500 and put the 1750 in my trailer project .
DSCF1378.jpg
DSCF1379.jpg
DSCF1380.jpg

Last edited:
Todd, nice pics...and good to see another blue 80 out there...now to find a "cheap" XANTREX. ;)

I actually like the OldCon box setup. Looks like you can run a ton of stuff off that puppy. BTW, are you running a high-output alternator and/or dual batteries?

:cheers:

Steve

I have a XANTREX 1750 in my 80 . I got it from a wrecked work truck . works very well , I may replace it with a 1500 and put the 1750 in my trailer project .

Comments on performance...blown fuses, anything? Nice otherwise!

why are they better?

Xantrex just makes the best stuff out there. Its really about build quality. Xantrex is what you see on all the hi-power rigs.

do electronics need pro sine?

Depends. ProSine is a must when using a computer or delicate electronics like say a $45k HD Camera body. Or anything that uses NiCad batteries.

Will be putting one in my rig, since just got ahold of the Matrix switch and outlet components...Holy C@!* the XANTREX ones are expensive...likely overkill for my needs.

Yes they are but you need to decide what your needs are. If you are power a PSP or GameBoy or your phone or small electronics then you are fine with cheap. If you are dealing with laptops or delicate electronics that cannot see voltage spikes or just "dirty" power then you need ProSine.

There is more to it then that but you get the idea.

Steve I'm running dual batteries with a 80 amp breaker
SURFACE MOUNT CIRCUIT BREAKER HI AMP MANUAL RESET 80 AMP Hi Amp Surface Mount Man Reset Circuit Breaker High Amp Circuit Protection* - Waytek Wire
under the hood that feeds the rear and then use a 20 ATO fuse off the inverter input stud that feeds the fuse box in the rear.

Todd, nice pics...and good to see another blue 80 out there...now to find a "cheap" XANTREX. ;)

I actually like the OldCon box setup. Looks like you can run a ton of stuff off that puppy. BTW, are you running a high-output alternator and/or dual batteries?

:cheers:

Steve

No blown fuses yet but I'll keep trying
Comments on performance...blown fuses, anything? Nice otherwise!

If you normally draw power off the battery when the motors not running, wouldn't that eliminate the spike issue?

I'm just wondering, because I'm actually trying to come up with a system that will support my CPAP machine in the woods. These are used for sleep apnea.

It is basically a very small, but sophisticated air compressor that feeds a mask that the sleeper uses to, well, keep breathing regularly. Also prevents snoring, which your :princess: very much appreciates!

It has some pretty interesting adaptive electronics and memory. Plus a heater that supplies humidity. It draws 144 watts, so easily is under the 400 watt output of the cheap Harbor Freight inverter I have in my truck (pics at https://forum.ih8mud.com/electronic-toys/333965-anyone-ever-install-cb-tuffy.html).

I guess my question is if I'm sitting in camp, engine off, and the battery can supply the 1.2 amp draw all night, are spikes going to be an issue?

Not that I'm against the good stuff. I'm drooling at and appreciate the sweet sine waves, etc and understand the reason why you'd want them. I've got my eyes on them, even though I have a fat, honking cheap inverter out in the shop, if I need it in an emergency. I just am thinking maybe in some duty cycles, cheap is OK?

Aren't most CPAP machines run off low voltage? I am pretty sure 12v can be used if you know what the draw is. I've seen a few at at client's shop and I don't see why 12v wouldn't work or a basic modsine inverter IMHO

NLXTACY,
Yeah, sort of. The CPAP side of mine is straight forward. There is actually a 12 volt adapter available for it.

Then that part plugs in a larger unit as part of a whole assembly. This includes the humidifier or whatever it's called. It has a removable tank that slides on top of a heating element. To use this, you slide the CPAP machine in, then plug the power supply into the whole assembly. Harder to explain than to see in practice.

I plan to check to see if there is a 12 volt adapter available for the complete unit. That might be easier.

Sorry for the digression. But it still leaves the question open, I suppose. If the engine is off, are spikes as much of an issue with an inverter?

The voltage spike isn't an issue because the inverter protects against that. The issue is whether or not the CPAP machine requires clean power, I'm guessing no.

What's up with the 66 block in your cargo area? Did you set up a network in your cruiser or are you planning to put cubicles in there too?:p "Koffer, Line 3. Koffer, Line 3."
When I posted that pix I wondered why :hmm:it was there too .

I have no idea why , it may have been in with my sparky tools bag at the time or I was thinking of cutting down the silver satin for the inverter remote on/off switch and it was in with my phone tools.

I know the feeling. Through my job I seem to be acquiring a varied collection of different tool bags. Locks, phones, networking, whatever. Jack of all trades, master of none. Three years ago I never would have known what a 66 block was. The plus side is I now use scotchlocks all sorts of places (that they really shouldn't be). I also don't pee my pants when I find myself in a phone closet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom