what have you guys done for quick-release mudflaps? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
looking for quick relase mudflaps ideas im thinking i may go this route

1697829693227.png

Roll over a rock or drainage swale too quick.

Removes em instantly!
nice thanks for trolling me.

kinda need mudflaps to stay legal driving on roads. I'm just seeking what others have done.

Roll over a rock or drainage swale too quick.

Removes em instantly!
I find rolling fowards isn't near the problem that backing over a rock causes.
WHIP! Down and gone. Like a prom dress at midnight.

Anytime. Happy to help 🤪

I trimmed all of mine 3/4" below the main part of it. I have only broken one since
mine is trimmed too but I'm on 38" and its obvious that the mud flap no longer covers half the tire

looking for quick relase mudflaps ideas im thinking i may go this route

View attachment 3460864
I have not seen this discussed regularly here. May be worth a search and see if there are some really old threads on it.

Not required in the US, so looks like mainly a CAN thing.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Please post what you do to help others in your situation.

How nice do you want it to look? Most guys around here just throw in a hitch mudflap setup when they need it to be legal.. but it doesn’t look great that’s for sure.

I wonder if you could come up with a system for a QD Rally Armor setup. That would be rad

I haven't done anything about this yet, right now I just run the factory mudflaps. It's also something you need to be legal here in aus, and cops are known to defect people readily for issues here. It's a legal requirement that mudflaps not be higher than 23cm from the ground here for example. I know my 80 fails that test right now on the 2" lift it has. With the rigid factory flaps though, I've scraped them plenty, and ripped them clean off more than once even at the height they're running now.

I'd do something similar to this, if/when I get around to it:

Soft rubber mudflap with chain. Rather than making them removable though, I'd probably just use a carabiner or the like to hitch extra lengths of the chain together to pull them up higher on rough trails. That's what I was thinking of doing anyway. Seen one other 80 with a setup like this, didn't look too bad.

I just searched and couldn't find the thread I was looking for. I think it is in the "What have you done to your 80 today" thread. There was a member that used Zeus Fasteners in the stock mudflap bolt locations and said they were removable quickly.

I had/have some from Owl Expedition Outfitters on the 200 series. Not sure if he makes them for the 80.

They worked well on road, and come off quickly for offroading. They do not work well in anything beyond mild offroading, but aren't really meant to. I was kind of torture testing them. I also kind of trashed a couple of the brackets in moab this spring, and melted one mudflap with a rerouted exhaust, so haven't used them since.

The thing that makes them easily removed is a inverted keyhole on the flap, and a spacer and plastic washer on the vehicle side. You slide the mudflap through the circular portion of the keyhole and pull it down to the narrow part where it is secured.

Note that he uses plastic washers on purpose, so they are sacrificial. It is a bit like a fuse where the washer should give out before ripping the mounts off.

You could probably make something similar, without too much difficulty.

IMG_3085.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg
IMG_3087.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom