Which hose clamp is best? (2 Viewers)

Which hose clamp works best?

Votes: 8 53.3%

Votes: 5 33.3%

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Used a lot of the #3 over the years, cheap and readily available but now I use OEM as much as possible. Loosening the #2 style can be a pain using regular pliers, what I usually use, so I bought a set of hose clamp pliers. These were worse. I had a set of regular pliers modified to provide a larger gripping surface and with the little I've used them so far they've been an improvement. These were a set of roadkill that now live a new life.

IMG_5678-1.jpg
IMG_5679.jpg
IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_20210413_121806432.jpg

Picked these up because of the ol' lady's GMC. The hold the clamp open so you can use hands for positioning.

What is wrong with #3?

I know its not OEM, but I have been using them for the last 40 years and have never had a leak I could attribute to the clamp.
Are you in a warm climate? That style is notorious for pissing like a race horse when it gets cold.

Last edited:
After you in a warm climate? That style is notorious for pissing like a race horse when it gets cold.
I can attest to that.

Hey guys thanks for all of your input. I’m going to go with #1 for all. D

You could also look at stainless ABA clamps. They look like number 3, but the thread grooves don't go all the way through so they are smooth on the inside. Plus they have a couple different widths so they work well on some of the smaller hoses. I'll try to grab a picture of mine installed.

When I did my 2H swap into an FJ60, I used them everywhere. Not a single leak when I started it back up. But I was very careful not to overnighten anything. I think that is key.

Where do you source yours? Just pulled up a couple websites of the ABAs, I like those, SS non-perforated and rolled edges.

I try to use OEM style in most places, love the function of the double wire clamps but find them a pain in the a$$ to fiddle with to get set right. Absolutely love the constant tension bands on the upper rad hose.

I'd like to get a variety of sizes of the ABAs as backups or to use in places where they would just be a helluva lot easier to use. I hate old school perforated band clamps.

Where do you source yours? Just pulled up a couple websites of the ABAs, I like those, SS non-perforated and rolled edges.

I try to use OEM style in most places, love the function of the double wire clamps but find them a pain in the a$$ to fiddle with to get set right. Absolutely love the constant tension bands on the upper rad hose.

I'd like to get a variety of sizes of the ABAs as backups or to use in places where they would just be a helluva lot easier to use. I hate old school perforated band clamps.

I got mine from Greenline Hose and Fitting, a local hose supplier. We also have NewLine Hose which probably has them. Not sure if either of these exist in the US. I'm sure there are a bunch of hose suppliers that sell online, but I really like bringing in my hoses and fitting the clamps myself if I can.

Here are some pics of the ABA clamps install on my truck.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

Are you in a warm climate? That style is notorious for pissing like a race horse when it gets cold.
I'm in Georgia. So that's probably the difference. I will admit I don't spend a lot of time discussing hose clamps, but this is literally the first time I've ever heard a bad word about them.

I source SS Aviation clamps from a surplus place for the big stuff like radiator hoses and the local salvage yard for the smaller clamps, all taken off Mercedes cars. Like the ABA the threads on the German clamps don’t go through so no hose damage. In 20 minutes I got a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks.

I source SS Aviation clamps from a surplus place for the big stuff like radiator hoses and the local salvage yard for the smaller clamps, all taken off Mercedes cars. Like the ABA the threads on the German clamps don’t go through so no hose damage. In 20 minutes I got a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks.
That’s a great idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom