Which grease to use on driveshaft??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well played, sir.

Fwiw, I pump the shaft until it oozes out.

Then, like every other time this happens in life, I just wipe it clean and I'm good to go. No issues ever with my shafts.
I've heard occasionally washing it is also conducive to longer service life :cool:

I've heard occasionally washing it is also conducive to longer service life :cool:

It's like those who say to never wash a coffee pot... it's called seasoning!

FWIW

Here the deal with slide yoke of aft & forward propeller shaft (AKA aft and forward drive shafts) and spiders.

The slid yoke seal, is a double seal, with inner lip pointed inward. What happens is, as grease is pumped in cavity, grease presses on seal tightening it. This creates a great deal of pressure within the cavity. This pressure can warp the backing plate, and then grease will ooze out it (back plate). It is suspected, that this pressure, if not released, can result in damage to transfer case and or differential(s),

1) Toyota has changed the recommendation (seen in 200 series FSM) to: "pump in grease until yoke shaft is seen to just begin to extend". They no longer recommended lubing until grease passes seals on the slid yokes.
2) With some patience and special techniques, we can pump in grease until it passes good seals. But not recommended for the inexperienced!
3) Older high mileage, that have not been regularly lubed, seal(s) may be damaged/worn/cracked. In these grease will pass seals rather easily compared to good seals. Those slide yokes tend to need lubing more often.
4) If while pumping in grease, slid yoke extends more than 1/8" and stays extended. Remove the grease zerk for a moment to relieve excess pressure.

Always pump grease in rear propeller shaft slide yoke with wheels on ground and suspension in neutral position.
Always pump grease in spiders (AKA U-joints) until clean grease is seen flowing out.

FWIW

Here the deal with slide yoke of aft & forward propeller shaft (AKA aft and forward drive shafts) and spiders.

The slid yoke seal, is a double seal, with inner lip pointed inward. What happens is, as grease is pumped in cavity, grease presses on seal tightening it. This creates a great deal of pressure within the cavity. This pressure can warp the backing plate, and then grease will ooze out it (back plate). It is suspected, that this pressure, if not released, can result in damage to transfer case and or differential(s),

1) Toyota has changed the recommendation (seen in 200 series FSM) to: "pump in grease until yoke shaft is seen to just begin to extend". They no longer recommended lubing until grease passes seals on the slid yokes.
2) With some patience and special techniques, we can pump in grease until it passes good seals. But not recommended for the inexperienced!
3) Older high mileage, that have not been regularly lubed, seal(s) may be damaged/worn/cracked. In these grease will pass seals rather easily compared to good seals. Those slide yokes tend to need lubing more often.
4) If while pumping in grease, slid yoke extends more than 1/8" and stays extended. Remove the grease zerk for a moment to relieve excess pressure.

Always pump grease in rear propeller shaft slide yoke with wheels on ground and suspension in neutral position.
Always pump grease in spiders (AKA U-joints) until clean grease is seen flowing out.

Very good write-up! Thank you!

When my thud returns, I like to pull and separate the driveshaft( use alignment marks), clean the splines well and use generous amounts of moly during reassembly. Even if you fill the entire shaft with grease just to reach the splines there's no guarantee the grease will get to each spline equally or some splines at all. I feel that grease is definitely the cure to the thud, and a regular cleaning is the only way to ensure each spline is greased.
I use moly in the shafts and green in the u-joints

When my thud returns, I like to pull and separate the driveshaft( use alignment marks), clean the splines well and use generous amounts of moly during reassembly. Even if you fill the entire shaft with grease just to reach the splines there's no guarantee the grease will get to each spline equally or some splines at all. I feel that grease is definitely the cure to the thud, and a regular cleaning is the only way to ensure each spline is greased.
I use moly in the shafts and green in the u-joints

The only problem with this approach is that you have to take off at least half of the prop:( It’s easy for those with a proper lift though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom