Which Case To Run With Th350 With Stock Axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It doesn't really wrap around, it's only on the side and there's cracks that run up the side of the tranny a little more. So would I need once I put a new tranny in it, a transmission cross member long with my transfer case cross member?
Normally NO!!! The FJ40 has a hot riveted frame, flexes like wet spaghetti, and three point rigid mounting normally has the motor mounts ripping out when in off road twisting/terrain.

So what would be a halfway decent idea to go about fixing this? I'm aware I need a new transmission.

Got the good camera out for some actual decent pictures for you guys to look at....
DSC_0071 copy.JPG
DSC_0072 copy.JPG
DSC_0073 copy.JPG
DSC_0075 copy.JPG
DSC_0077 copy.JPG

My gut feeling is that you had a hairline crack in the tranny case to begin with, OR the adapter was not bolted tightly enough (or came loose) from the back of the tranny, giving the tranny a chance to start spinning free from the adapter????? Too many guys running your same set up that have never cracked a tranny like that. Look for black grease inside part of the cracked metal, where grease was laying inside a hairline crack before the dog gone thing gave way. That exactly happened to me, but all the way around the bellhousing- - - black grease inside the first 3" of a 9" crack.

I bet you're right, would you just suggest throwing another turbo 400 on it and have all the adapters and driveline be the same? Back onto the case, would it be able to hold if I'm gentle to it and rebuilt it? I'm considering pushing it into the garage and over the winter replace the tranny and rebuild the case and pull the tub off the frame and coat the frame to keep it in great condition.

I ran the turbo 400 with v350 and it held up without issue. Had that setup for several years. Sold that FJ40 and last I heard it is still running that drive line.

Well just a little update, pulled the case off...didn't even have to remove a single bolt...The tranny ended up being completely cracked and parts were falling off left and right. Also sheared the output shaft on the tranny. On a positive note the case shafts fine and works I guess.
image-13.jpeg
image-14.jpeg
image-16.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom