Where's the diff lock switch/button on a BJ7X? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

elum said:
I'm trying to speed up the process of verifying that the cruiser I'm looking at has them...

Should be two black handles with red writing on them in the same area as the hood release would normally be. That is if it is a BJ with OEM diff locks. If a HZJ 7X it would be a turn dial same as the 80 next to the steering wheel.

Last edited:
They would look like these, except near the hood release

attachment.php

Last edited:
Ocelot:

Elum's asking about a "BJ" 7x series...I believe the pic you have is of an HZJ73, which were later models after the BJ74s were phased out. If it's the BJ7x series, then the diff locks would be controlled by levers on the driver's side kickpanel as described by PacToy.

Cheers.

<EDIT> Just noticed your other post, Elum...a Canadian BJ70 will not have any lockers or full float rears as part of the factory options, just in case you didn't already know that. The JDM's were the ones that tended to have those goodies.

My only locker experience is with the f/r e-lockers on my 80.

When you lock a cable locker, does it lock instantly or do you have to engage the lever and then pull forward for it to engage?

MoJ said:
My only locker experience is with the f/r e-lockers on my 80.

When you lock a cable locker, does it lock instantly or do you have to engage the lever and then pull forward for it to engage?

On cable lockers, you pull the lever towards you to engage the locker. Engagement is almost instantaneous and seamless...you just feel instant traction. You push the lever back down to disengage the lockers, and they unlock as soon as your diff tries to differentiate. The levers are set up in a way that you can either engage the rear only, or both the front and rear, but cannot engage the front only.

Stone said:
On cable lockers, you pull the lever towards you to engage the locker. Engagement is almost instantaneous and seamless...you just feel instant traction. You push the lever back down to disengage the lockers, and they unlock as soon as your diff tries to differentiate. The levers are set up in a way that you can either engage the rear only, or both the front and rear, but cannot engage the front only.

So no electric motor, air compressor, switches, etc to rely on. Cable seems like the best way to do lockers. Any downside to a cable design?

MoJ said:
So no electric motor, air compressor, switches, etc to rely on. Cable seems like the best way to do lockers. Any downside to a cable design?

It would be my choice if my rig didn't come with one. Of course cost is a big factor. One of the least expensive ways to lock your diffs is an auto locker of some sort like the Detroit or Aussie Locker...the Aussie being a great value. But then you have to put up with clanking and banging and the steering around corners and in parking lots is a "little" different. :)

I love the cable lockers, much better than the e-lockers in my opinion. Easier to engage, no electric nonsense to deal with. Too bad cable lockers aren't available past 1990:(

lshobie said:
I love the cable lockers, much better than the e-lockers in my opinion. Easier to engage, no electric nonsense to deal with. Too bad cable lockers aren't available past 1990:(

You could always swap them in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom