Easiest diff locker ever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was pleasantly surprised on how easy it was to install front Lokka autolocker on my HJ75.

Once the diff is out I literally only needed to remove ONE bolt.

1701008177895.png

1701008343188.png

This 12mm bolt is the centre shaft retainer. Once it's out the centre shaft, pinion gears, and side gears are off!

What a great design maintenance-wise

1701008505039.png

Hi
I'm not a pro on anything gearing, so following with interest.
Is there a need to check the contact pattern?
Once it's out the centre shaft, pinion gears, and side gears are off!
Maybe consider Locktide to make sure it doesn't come off during operation?
Cheers Ralf

Is there a need to check the contact pattern?

Not really, unless things were further disassembled. If the carrier/R&P was left intact when the third member was taken out then nothing changed insofar as the gears were concerned. You could still run a test pattern if you wanted - I probably would, because I'm inept and paranoid - but the gears themselves don't know whether they're in or out of the housing; that's the fun part of a drop-out third.

Thread locker on the fastener would depend on manufacturer specs; on some bolts it's an absolute no-no. I'm a novice on these axles so I can't say what should be done, here.

The carrier assembly, crown wheel, etc. wasn't touched. I actually started by measuring the play using dial etc, until I read the instruction. So yeah, there was no need really to do the normal diff "setup"

It took me under 1hr, compared to when I did my Prado rear. That one I had to disassemble everything, muck around with LSD etc. etc. which took me the whole day.

Note that the Troopy is 2wd most of the time so the front diff got little use compared to rear. The condition was mint.

The 12mm bolt has got a spring washer and wasn't that tight. I put it back with blue loctite just in case.

If only everything is so well-designed like this!!

I have the whole video uploaded here:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom