Where to go through firewall? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.durangomagazine.com
Other than the factory hole in the picture below. Are there any other easy places to pull wire, CB antenna, etc.... through the firewall? I'd like to save this one for the antenna and pull power somewhere else, rather than both at the same place.
DSCN5553.JPG

On the opposite side of the engine bay, is a place where a/c connections go through, this is where i ran wiring for lights

Look on the left side of the steering wheel shaft penetration through the firewall on the interior. There is a hole cut out in the insulation. You will have to run the small drillbit through, but it comes out just to the left side of the clamp in the middle of your arrow on your photo. Look on my photo's located here for the interior location. IMO Neatly getting though the insulation is the toughest part of penetrating the firewall without doing any disassembly.

IH8MUD.com Forum - View Single Post - The $1400 Sticker- ARB Locker Price

I guess I should have rephrased the question to read: Are there any more factory unused grommeted holes like the one in the picture?

But thanks for the tip on a place to drill an additional hole. I'm hoping to avoid that if possible but I might be the easiest in the end. And I agree, getting through the insulation cleanly is always the hardest.

There are a number of grommlets in the floor board. These are for pulling and draining water if necessary, I think. You'll have to pull the carpet to find them, but you could run power or whatever through the floor grommlets and then back up to your battery or whereever.

There is one on the right side/top of the tranny tunnel just in front of the lower portion of the dash. That is where I ran my Mark's Speedo corection box wiring through. Just pull the carpet back from under the dash a little bit and you should see it (from the passenger side). Pretty easy to get to and if you are mounting the CB in the dash, it would be a fairly strait shot to the radio.

Jack

There is one on the right side/top of the tranny tunnel just in front of the lower portion of the dash. That is where I ran my Mark's Speedo corection box wiring through. Just pull the carpet back from under the dash a little bit and you should see it (from the passenger side). Pretty easy to get to and if you are mounting the CB in the dash, it would be a fairly strait shot to the radio.

Jack

This one sounds interesting. Future plan is to mount an in dash CB. This could be the perfect spot to bring the antenna through. Right now I use a hand held with an exterior mag antenna. I route the antenna through the hole in my original post.

Anyone know if there is a hole behind the driver's side kick panel into the inner fender? That would be ideal for running power to my fuse block. If it was not dumping snow and so damn cold today I'd go out and look myself.

I used a Grommet on the passenger side firewall that the main harness runs through. Mine had afew unused "nipples" so I cut the tip off and inserted some fat 4-0 wire, it was tight but eventually it was easier to push through. This location puts it behind the passenger kick panel and upwards but still has a reasonable amount of room to reach around. (I think locked rigs have the locker ECU behind this panel, mine isn't locked so can't say for sure.)

Sc0 thats exactly what i was talking about, but you gave it a better description. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom