Where is this front end clunk coming from?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some background:

2005 Lexus GX470 with 112k miles on it. Very well maintained by previous owner. I've had it for the last 6k miles or so.

When i bought the truck i noticed that there was a pretty loud clunk when i was turning right to get into my driveway. I did some research and lots of people suggested that i need to replace the sway bar end links.
I bought some high quality non-OEM end links (used the same brand in the past on other cars with great success) and i replaced them WITHOUT replacing the sway bar bushings. Since i also replaced the CV boots when i bought the truck and i had to touch it, I also re-tightened the lower ball joint large nut - just in case.
All of this FIXED the clunk. The truck was quiet for about 3-4k miles.

Now, i have a new suspension clunk from the driver side. It happens only when i pull out of my driveway and/or when i start turning the steering wheel. It clunks once and then for miles, regardless of how i drive...the truck is quiet. Another time when i can hear it is when i step on the brakes hard and the truck leans forward. As the front end dives in, this is when i hear the clunk. Turning the steering to the right or left while moving does not bring the noise most of the time.

So, the new clunk is similar to what we had before but it is not the same, or at least it is triggered by different conditions (braking, moving the car after it's been staying parked for awhile, etc)

There are no other symptoms. No vibrations, no pulling to the side, no other strange noises. Everything under the truck looks tight and clean. Front shocks were replaced at 67k miles with OEM parts.

Where should i start looking? Any bushings that may be going bad at this mileage/age? Any common weak areas to inspect? Could it be the sway bar bushings, since i did not replace them?

Thanks!

it may be just my luck, but anytime I've had a clunk I could hear, it had to do with that damn swaybar, in all of my vehicles.

it may be just my luck, but anytime I've had a clunk I could hear, it had to do with that **** swaybar, in all of my vehicles.

Aside from the end links and the bushings, what else can you do to fix these sway bar clunks?

Aside from the end links and the bushings, what else can you do to fix these sway bar clunks?

Does your truck have KDSS?

No, no KDSS.

Then unless something is contacting the swaybar, it's really only the end links and bushings that could be causing the noise. Or it's not the swaybar at all, and the clunk is coming from somewhere else.

It is a suspension/swaybar component for sure from the sounds of it.

I am about to tear off my front swaybar...don't need it for how I drive :p

It is a suspension/swaybar component for sure from the sounds of it.

I am about to tear off my front swaybar...don't need it for how I drive :p

The "suspension" part is what i am concerned about it. Since my end links are new, i wonder how likely it could be that the noises come from something totally non-sway bar related... like bad control arm bushing? Bad tie rod end?

Or, would you say that these are pretty much bullet proof parts on these trucks and i should not suspect them before i replace my sway bar bushings first?

If this was an Audi sedan (i've had 2), i would immediately blame such noise on failing upper control arm and prepare for a costly and painful repair. I am secretly hoping that this won't be the case with my GX.

Mine does it. Tracked it down to a loose front skid plate. Sure does make a racket!

I ordered sway bar mount bushings. If that doesn’t work, gonna do the mstudt custom end links. Hoping my decision to do 30mm and 21mm energy genetic works. They recommended 29 and 19 to fit the gx but others have reported success with the prothane 30 and 21 kit so it should work in theory. 34 shipped for all 4 on amazon.

I used the energy suspension 19mm rear bushings and they fit well. I also went with the blue moog front bushings and they fit well. Just make sure you grease whatever it is you end up with.

The energy suspension bulk size 30mm fit great for front sway bar, however the energy suspension 21mm bulk was too narrow for the bracket to fit over it. Makes no sense the 19 will work but not their 21??? Just wanted to warn others. And the clunk is still there.. end links next I guess?

It happens only when i pull out of my driveway and/or when i start turning the steering wheel. It clunks once and then for miles, regardless of how i drive...the truck is quiet. Another time when i can hear it is when i step on the brakes hard and the truck leans forward. As the front end dives in, this is when i hear the clunk. Turning the steering to the right or left while moving does not bring the noise most of the time.

This! This has been driving me insane.

The energy suspension bulk size 30mm fit great for front sway bar, however the energy suspension 21mm bulk was too narrow for the bracket to fit over it. Makes no sense the 19 will work but not their 21??? Just wanted to warn others. And the clunk is still there.. end links next I guess?

Just FYI - I have brand new:
-Sway bar bushings front & rear
-Sway bar end links front & rear
-UCAs
-LCAs
-Front struts

and this is still happening to me.

So either something is installed incorrectly or too loose or too tight, but I haven't found it yet.

I would think for clunk noises to also inspect ball joints and tie rods, both inner and outer. You've done nearly a whole front end suspension refresh. Might as well do all of it.

My rig has 84k miles on it and was immaculate never off-road and I got it and lifted it and within like 3k miles the clunk started. Makes no sense.
Are these rigs all lifted experiencing this.

Mine is up 2.5" and I don't have this issue... yet... 178k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom