Where is the best place to buy a Half Tub from for my 77' 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy a Half Tub for my 77 FJ40, I see a vendor on eBay but wondered if there is a preferred vendor for this item?

Reviews on 1/2 tubs from the handful of existing suppliers in business right now are mixed to say the least. Poor fit, poor finish, use of thin steel, dimensions being off, are all common complaints it seems.

I looked at several suppliers when I needed a new tub, and even considered piecing one together from Real Steel body parts, but ultimately went with Aqualu and am very pleased. I also looked at Gozzard, and probably would have gone that route but the wait was many months at the time. The only supplier in steel that I looked at was TESEVEN, but the cost was too high given exchange, shipping.

Bottom line: I personally can’t think of a 1/2 tub supplier in steel that I would recommend right now. Others may have a different view and I’d be interested in hearing it.

Looking to buy a Half Tub for my 77 FJ40, I see a vendor on eBay but wondered if there is a preferred vendor for this item?
Call and talk to "Classic Cruisers" in Poncha Springs (Salida). I walked around their shop and they had several for their resto's. As far as I know they don't sell them but they could point you in the right direction.
I owned a Aqualu tub cruiser and it did the job but it definitely wasn't OEM in appearance. All have some fit issues from what I am told.
Good Luck!!

This may be another option you could look at in the future. More detail regarding tubs in this thread:

The quality question with this chinese product remains unanswered.
Our community is waiting for the first shipment: they promise OEM quality, let see what they do really offer!

There are some other options, e.g. in France. They promise a OEM quality too.
However, they can be pricey:

PS. No affiliation!

Last edited:
CCOT has the best tubs I have seen. I think they may be the old Pilgrim supplied tubs. They are $$$$ but they look great in person.

I think CCOT may have had good tubs at one point, but their QC seems to have fallen off the wagon lately. My 3/4 tub was mis-constructed and needed cutting, and another 'mudder is running into the same currently. 🤔 They're workable, and the steel seems decent enough, but overpriced for the quality issues currently (at least in their last batch). I'm pretty curious on how the Alibaba route shakes out, as most of the current steel offerings are fairly lackluster.

I think @Jetlander was pretty happy with his Aqualu, other than the trans tunnel. If you're not going for OEM-spec, that's probably the route I'd go. I can't speak to the glass (Gozzard) route, either, but they seem decently recreated.

TROA has some really nice panels and Tubs, both 1/2 and full. I have been working with them for some time on their panels and fitment and they are a great option and have some really strong pricing. I can post up pictures of some of their panels if you would like, which I have at my shop. I am working on a rocker/B-pillar replacement unit right now with them that comes as an assembly.

If you’re looking for a tub that’ll more than do the job, and you’re not doing a factory resto, going with an Aqualu is the only viable choice right now. That is…if you’re not willing to spend countless hours and money puzzling together random panels. My only complaint about the Aqualu was the trans tunnel they provided. It’s boxy and looks nothing like OEM.

I ended up removing the Aqualu tunnel and modifying the OEM tunnel to fit. It wasn’t hard if you’re comfortable welding sheet metal. Have a gander at my build thread and see how it’s done. Zero regrets going aluminum.

I’d look into “Landcruiser Heaven“. onl seen 1 of their tubs, but it was nice
I would avoid Land cruiser Heaven . I’ve had issue after issue with my car after they had it for a year. Latest today is the LED lights they ‘upgraded’ went out when driving down the road. Too many issue los to list here. I put a call into the owner a month ago still no return call.

Note pic below. Dealing with LCH is a major hassle.

12778D48-3834-4420-A04F-511D948B518F.jpeg

I’d look into “Landcruiser Heaven“. onl seen 1 of their tubs, but it was nice
Avoid LCH, I was sold one of their POS half tubs by another member. They are junk all the way around. Just take a look at the great reviews in the "Bad Seller, BEware" section at bottom of Classifieds. You would be better off buying some metal and making one yourself, that's what your going to have to do anyway if you buy one from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom