Front Doors on Alibaba (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it could be that I'm going insane from all of the endless searching for good quality replacement front doors. But I'm actually considering ordering the minimum quantity (10 each side) of front doors from this seller... I'd be putting $5,600 + shipping at risk, but from the pictures, they actually look pretty dang good (better than the south american ones I see on ebay, and a lot cheaper on a per unit basis). Gozzard, which appears to make decent quality fiberglass units, sells one set for $3k, plus like another $500 for shipping...

If they are passable quality, I'd try to sell the extra 9 sets on ih8mud to get my money back, and mark them up just enough to pay for my set. :) I figure I should get something in return for taking the risk.

A few questions for the group:

1) Do any of you eagle-eyed FJ40 enthusiasts see defects or missing features on these doors? there are some obvious spot welds around the hinges, but those seem minor enough to skim over.
2) Have any of you bought items direct from china via Alibaba? Am I likely to get ripped off? I'd pay via credit card, so in the event that they just never ship the item, I suppose I could always do a chargeback.
3) Am I an idiot for considering this?

Thanks!!
Peter

Left a message for Mark, but never heard back. His voicemail says something like "I'll call you back if I can help you." Maybe I took that too literally. Lol. But maybe I should try again.

Classic cruisers doesn't have any doors listed on their site, but I'll try calling them tomorrow.

Actually, reading about this company and its revenue, they probably make metal work better than small garage shops. That said, I am like you and really wonder the quality. If I had the cash I would go for it. My parents bought a Sony TV in the 1960s because they could not afford a Zenith, and, that set was nice and lasted a LONG time. These doors may be great, who knows.

Peter;
One line in the advert says you can purchase "samples" with ONE being a (the?) minimum order..
Seems to me you could order a "sample Left" and a "sample right" door instead of buying "ten each (side)"
I think I'd ask before zapping the plastic for Six Grand and who knows how much "shipping and handling"!!!
Also note, these are '75 & later doors (lift handle style)

Charles 1974 FJ40.

They actually look pretty good to my naked eye but notice that the first picture has some photoshopping going on in the background. Could have been to just clean up the image and get rid of background garbage. I would ask for a pair or get references from others who have bought them before. Only issue w buying is the import taxes and the shipping from port to your final destination. I have been working w a buddy who does a lot of importing from China and it is very profitable, but has it challenges.

Actually, reading about this company and its revenue, they probably make metal work better than small garage shops. That said, I am like you and really wonder the quality. If I had the cash I would go for it. My parents bought a Sony TV in the 1960s because they could not afford a Zenith, and, that set was nice and lasted a LONG time. These doors may be great, who knows.
You have to be kidding, a 1960's Sony was a 100% made in Japan quality item. I would have chosen Sony over Zenith regardless of the price.

I have purchased a few things from Alibaba. Some were decent others were not even the item I purchased. I had a very difficult time getting my money back and on some lost the money altogether. I decided then and since the Covid thing never to order anything from China are purchase anything from China if I can avoid it.

Left a message for Mark, but never heard back. His voicemail says something like "I'll call you back if I can help you." Maybe I took that too literally. Lol. But maybe I should try again.

Classic cruisers doesn't have any doors listed on their site, but I'll try calling them tomorrow.
😉 Thank you for being one of the ones that actually paid attention. My message IS literal.

haha. love it. For what it's worth, I find your way of doing business refreshing.

After sleeping on it, I think I'm just going to keep up the hustle of trying to find decent used doors. If I ran a LC parts business, I'd consider taking the risk on a batch of the chinese doors, because if they are good quality, they will sell well. Currently, Gozzard seems to be the only decent option at $3k for the pair. The hunt continues...

I’d be willing to guarantee I’d take a set off your hands if you make the leap and they’re good quality.

You have to be kidding, a 1960's Sony was a 100% made in Japan quality item. I would have chosen Sony over Zenith regardless of the price.
There was a widespread feeling that Japanese stuff was inferior. What I am saying is the quality was better than the American stuff, with a lower price. Happened even in the 1970s with cars as well. Perhaps China is following as well. Maybe these doors made in China are really nice.

Yep, only way to know is for somebody to fork out the cash and see what happens! I just sent the seller a message, to see if they're willing to sell me 1 driver side and one passenger side door. I would definitely be willing to take that risk. :)

After ten years as a woodworker working in other people's shops, I went to the bank in 1984 and borrowed 20 grand to start my business. 16,000.00 built my shop and I had 4 grand for the tools. Grizzly had just opened in Bellingham Wa with Chinese 'clones' of the tried and true american brands. They lacked the fit and finish and the area tool snobs scoffed at me..... BUT, I still use some of them and for the most part they performed extremely well and allowed me to make a decent living for my growing family (4 kids) raised on a mountain on a rock for the following 20 years. 18 years ago I replaced my well used 15" planer with their 20" HD unit. It sits outside under a tarp and works every day. We produce huge reclaimed beams into fine lumber used in our cabinetry and furniture project. Oprah Winfrey and various Hollywood people enjoy our work. OK, this is getting way off topic, but I am using it as an example of what folks in the 60s thought about that 'Cheap Japanese crap' flooding the market. (And many of our dads and grandpas carried a major grudge.....) . When Interstate-5 opened up in Seattle about 1965 my dad pointed out a 'japanese jeep'.... FJ45 LV in the other lane. He told me if you were to rip out the headliner you'd see 'Prince Albert' cans stamped into a roof. China is just the new Japan. Where was your Iphone 12 made? And yes, for the majority, Japanese is better quality. But a Non USA carb for 1850.00 or a 67.00 clone with free shipping?

After ten years as a woodworker working in other people's shops, I went to the bank in 1984 and borrowed 20 grand to start my business. 16,000.00 built my shop and I had 4 grand for the tools. Grizzly had just opened in Bellingham Wa with Chinese 'clones' of the tried and true american brands. They lacked the fit and finish and the area tool snobs scoffed at me..... BUT, I still use some of them and for the most part they performed extremely well and allowed me to make a decent living for my growing family (4 kids) raised on a mountain on a rock for the following 20 years. 18 years ago I replaced my well used 15" planer with their 20" HD unit. It sits outside under a tarp and works every day. We produce huge reclaimed beams into fine lumber used in our cabinetry and furniture project. Oprah Winfrey and various Hollywood people enjoy our work. OK, this is getting way off topic, but I am using it as an example of what folks in the 60s thought about that 'Cheap Japanese crap' flooding the market. (And many of our dads and grandpas carried a major grudge.....) . When Interstate-5 opened up in Seattle about 1965 my dad pointed out a 'japanese jeep'.... FJ45 LV in the other lane. He told me if you were to rip out the headliner you'd see 'Prince Albert' cans stamped into a roof. China is just the new Japan. Where was your Iphone 12 made? And yes, for the majority, Japanese is better quality. But a Non USA carb for 1850.00 or a 67.00 clone with free shipping?

I am glad to hear someone who gets it. I had the same thing in the 1960s when people said the Japanese cars were "beer can quality". That brought us the Ford Pinto and Chevy Vega.

My grandfather was a Lieutenant Colonel in WW2. He experienced a lot of horrible things. I remember driving up to his ranch in Montana one summer in my Honda civic. He was so distraught, he turned around and walked back in the house without saying a word. As a young buck, I had no idea why. Grandma sat me down and had a good talk with me. There is a lot of truth to what you are saying about the older generation and Japanese products.

@island45 China is not the new Japan. Comparing the two, apples to apples is a HUGE insult to the Japanese. They are a completely different people with different values altogether.

I get that after the war people had a bad feeling about them. What they did to us at Pearl, and in the pacific was terrible. Let's just say, they payed dearly for their actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom