Where can I purchase this cool tire swingout latch deal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
The attached pic from a Smittybilt rear bumper but I'm sure somebody makes it for other bumper vendors. I'm aware of the Southco lateches and I have one of those already but was looking for more beef!

1569251054642.png

1569251081389.png

Another example of Smittybilt sold at Summit. Same concept, just a different billet handle. I like the first one better from an aesthetic angle.

1569251185107.png

4xInnovation make their own and it's quite beefy

1569251720294.png

Synergy has the similar one as above but with a little twist for $150
1569251832203.png

Extreme Terrain uses something similar on their jeep bumpers but not for sale as an item separately from their bumpers

1569252196476.png

4x4 Labs has the best latch on the market. 125.00

4x4 Labs has the best latch on the market. 125.00

Nah, it's just a beefy version of a DeStaCo latch and I don't care for the direction it moves the swing arm; which is downward. I have that DeStaCo latch already but mine is setup to pull the swing arm forward. :meh:

However, the ones I posted above move the swing arm in the forward direction and does a better job than the DeStaCo latch I got now.

Why do you need more beef than the 4xinnovation version?

I don't but this thread will might help others if they need something beefy. So far the 4xinnovation is the best one going, as you said.

Nah, it's just a beefy version of a DeStaCo latch and I don't care for the direction it moves the swing arm; which is downward. I have that DeStaCo latch already but mine is setup to pull the swing arm forward. :meh:

However, the ones I posted above move the swing arm in the forward direction and does a better job than the DeStaCo latch I got now.
If that is the only direction your De-Sta-Co pulls then you're doing it wrong. I oriented the one that I used on the CTD/Camper's old tire carrier to pull into the horizontal tube on a 45° so that the landing foot could help support the whole assembly. I did later cap that open tube with a piece that spanned all the way across.
i-dq7Zf2P-L.jpg

I do something similar on 4x4labs bumpers that I put together. Far and away the most solid locking swingout style I've experienced.

1573741288226.png

Nicely done Johnny. I'll mimic it for my next bumper build as these after market latches are stupid $$$$. Did you make up the hook deal that gets welded on or purchase it? It's a thick ****er!

Let me see a finished 4x4 lab product with this mounting orientation, if you got any. Thx.

Hook and latch come with the bumper kits afaik.

I trimmed the threads down after this pic:
1573744165093.png

grassy ass.

The attached pic from a Smittybilt rear bumper but I'm sure somebody makes it for other bumper vendors. I'm aware of the Southco lateches and I have one of those already but was looking for more beef!

View attachment 2089598

View attachment 2089599

Another example of Smittybilt sold at Summit. Same concept, just a different billet handle. I like the first one better from an aesthetic angle.

View attachment 2089601

4xInnovation make their own and it's quite beefy

View attachment 2089610

Synergy has the similar one as above but with a little twist for $150
View attachment 2089615
I have the synergy one, new, never used it as I decided against a swing out. sell for $100.00 plus the ride. I used one one a previous build nice rattle free and one hand lathing

Anyone have a good solve for the 4x4 Labs Dual swing arms. My spare rattles pretty bad. I’ve thought about adding a pin for that side.

I put a piece of rubber from a bike tube where the two arms meet the stop. No more noise.

How about a pic of how they latch? Might be able to make a better suggestion if I know what the layout is.

Yes, but I’m looking for a solution that eliminates the movement all together.

I worked on this a lot. I think it is a tough goal to remove all movement and vibration from those swing arms. I cranked down on the spindle bearings and tightened the latch only to still have metal on metal noise at the arm-stop contact point. I realized there will always be enough play there to create squeaks. A rubber isolator eliminated all squeaking for the past 70K miles. I think of it like suspension bushings.

Looks like the De-Sta-Co clamp pulls the two swingers together, but does not clamp either to the bumper. Have I got that right?

If I do, I'm kinda surprised they thot that would work and not have any flex. They both need to be clamped against some sort of stop on the bumper. If you want to do it with one clamp then they need to 'nest' where one has a significant tab that hits the stop first, and the second one hits that tab while clamp compresses them all together. Clear as mud or need a jpg to illustrate?

Looks like the De-Sta-Co clamp pulls the two swingers together, but does not clamp either to the bumper. Have I got that right?

If I do, I'm kinda surprised they thot that would work and not have any flex. They both need to be clamped against some sort of stop on the bumper. If you want to do it with one clamp then they need to 'nest' where one has a significant tab that hits the stop first, and the second one hits that tab while clamp compresses them all together. Clear as mud or need a jpg to illustrate?

There is a stop that both hit when closed but yes your correct, the clamp does not apply any force into it. The tire swing will rattle pretty bad due to its weight. The other side sits pretty solid.

I’ve considered a 2nd clamp on the tire side to pull down into the bumper. Or two separate clamps doing that after removing the current. I’d really like to figure out a clever diagonal orientation that does both down and back. That would seem to be the most solid.

And yes, I follow your overlapping tab/stop description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom