When/when not to use A-TRAC and Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My previous offroading truck didn't have any of these new fancy traction control mechanisms on there, so I'm going to ask the question hopefully other people have...What kind of situations would you want to use the A-TRAC or the Rear diff locker? Also, when should you NOT use them.

I know they need to be used in 4LO, but, do you use the A-TRAC in thick mud? Do you need to use one on sand? I'm just looking for different scenarios when one would use them before I do something stupid and really screw up my FJ (wife is already pissed for my pinstripes)

thanks

Well from my wheeling experience.. and not from what is theoretically right..

When it comes to hills, muddy hills, very rough terrain go with A-TRAC.

When it comes to overcoming large obstacles.. logs, rocks, short, steep hills, the locker seems to work best.

If you're going rock crawling.. A-TRAC is just point shoot and use enough skinny pedal which will get you up through them but will eventually fxxx something up. Sudden traction + skinny pedal + 4Lo = trouble.. if you pick the right line.. use some finess and the rear locker you'd go through it with less chances of messing s*** up.

after wheelin with Tim Scully and the FJCTT crew, he left it in ATRAC nearly the entire time....I felt there were times when a rear locker would work better, but the ATRAC is VERY quick to react to any wheel spin...

The FJ Trail Team was up in Gilbert this weekend for Crawl 4 Cure

Jen got to drive the FJ and she loved it. She did some hills, rocks and a little mud. We did a pretty impressive hill climb and did not use the diff lock. The driver dude said they almost always use A-Track.

On a side note I gatta say I am a convert. I loved the truck. I think Toyota did a great job, marketing, building and bringing us a truck that hits a nice happy medium...

Back on track....for its intended use A-Trac is pretty snazy. I would us the locker only in extream stuck or getting out of big trouble... I think the locker can get someone like me in allot of trouble......"heck yeah, i can do that!!, i gatta locker"!!

Cool rig....

I drove it over trail 5 and 4 at Tellico and never used the locker. The A-TRAC is very quick to engage, but also to disengage. The minute the torque load goes to the other wheel it shuts off...very cool to prevent damage.

The nice part about A-TRAC is that you don't wander like you do with a locker. The wheels spinning at the same time in locker mode causes the rear to go sideways a lot of times in low traction environments and when on rocks. A-TRAC doesn't cause this...really cool.

I would use a rear locker more in the FJ if the hack could be done to employ rear locker + front A-TRAC. Nuff said.

This question may possibly have been answered already but i was wondering if anyone could tell me recommended top speeds for use while in a-trac and also with the diff locked. I'm guessing it can't be very high since I should be in 4-lo, is this correct?

when I am going through obstacles I rarely shift into 2nd gear.. if I do.. it's only because of a huge mudpit.. and because I still have the s***ty duelers H/T otherwise I would not go into 2nd gear at all.

W/ rear diff locked do not exceed 5 mph, I believe it states this in the manual, but it's probably to cover there ash. A-trac is fine to travel in 4 lo @ speed, not like you should speed in 4 lo anyways:frown:, but it will not effect anything.A-trac will get you through almost any obstacle, have not had any issues so far- go on the trail 3 times a week, lots of 4x4 miles on vehicle. The electronic gadgetry it absolutly amazing:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom