Clutch help in Charlotte area and suggestions for replacement parts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
07 6mt I've had about a year now. The previous owner had the clutch replaced but I'm not sure his shop did a great job. I have started getting what sounds like a throw out bearing squeal. It started out as when out of gear with clutch disengaged you would hear a light squeal. Since I have owned it the squeal has persisted about the same and at times gets worse with wet weather. When the weather is wet I also hear clutch squeal when engaging clutch. There are other issues that seem minor but my guess would be they did not use the upgraded sleeve for bearing when they replace the clutch. My shop told me it would cheaper to just run it until I need a new transmission and replace both. I'm not a fan of that answer.

Looking at possible just ordering a replacement kit and having it installed what kits would you guys recommend? I keep seeing this one as highly rated but I have no experience with it.

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch Kits KDF409540​

Looking at possible just ordering a replacement kit and having it installed what kits would you guys recommend? I keep seeing this one as highly rated but I have no experience with it.

I have this exact clutch, but not with that flywheel (part no. DF240098). I don’t know what’s wrong with it. I installed this along with URD Heavy-U flywheel few years/50 k miles ago with their sleeve kit.

First when installed, it felt good, but slipped a little while full throttle in 3rd (I have supercharger and some other mods, ~350 hp). Well, there is said it’ll need drive-in few hundreds miles. After that it was just good, light to use and hold well.

Then, after few months it started to drag, it was difficult to get 1st gear in. I adjust the pedal, checked that there is no air in the system, but nothing helped at all. Then I burned the clutch on purpose, it smelled badly and after that it was ok again.

This happened regularly, the dragging problem came back after few thousands. Every time it went away by burning the clutch. But as you can imagine, that’s not a good way to get it ”fixed”. The clutch started to slip and it’s still dragging a little. I bypassed the clutch accumulator too, but it didn’t help at all too.

I ordered new one long time ago, this time I choosed ACT (Advanced Clutch TA3-HDSS HD-O/Perf Street Sprung), but I have not installed it yet, my FJ is not been in daily use anymore.

P.S. I have never had squeal problem with this nor the original which lasted about 132k miles.

Before you spend a 1000 dollars on a performance clutch kit, go over to the FJ Cruiser forum and do some reading about clutch issues and the various approaches to resolve the problems.

My fjc clutch doesn’t have this problem but my 01 taco did. I even took the truck into a good Lexus/Toyota only shop for the clutch replacement bc of this issue and talked with them about the squeaking issue with the chirpy throw out bearing if not done correctly…. It squeaked after and I could never get resolved
Sometimes the Fj cruiser blue forum can have helpful resolutions like fjc-man said above
Good luck. I know it’s annoying. Especially at lights or a drive threw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom