When adding carpet back to the FJ62/60, is NVH padding reccomended? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've removed all the carpet and recycled fiber padding from my 62 and I'm planning on putting full carpet back in. I was wondering if when I get carpet to install, if I should try to add pack some sort of NVH padding since all the recycled fiber material is gone. I still have each of the rubber zones on the floorpans, so the existing NVH isn't totally missing.

I've seen on a few threads here that some people go all out with roll on NVH material, but that seems to be a pretty involved process.

What's been y'all's experience with NVH when redoing carpet?

I pulled entire interior, including the carpets.

Cleaned the padding out real good.

Rustproofed with Rust Bullet.

Floors were shiny clean.

Then laid down the Noico butyl sound deadening material (buy the roller) prior to installing new carpets from @dnp

54 square feet was enough for all floors in front and back. $98 in total.

And TOTALLY worth it.

Much Less NVH, very Noticeable.

Didn’t add the next layer of vinyl that some put down, so can’t say how much difference it make

YMMV,
Gundo

DACC67FE-0212-4699-870E-61006659806E.jpeg

C6A4A2BC-2D79-461B-A40E-958B08518142.jpeg

Ah this is great, I think I’ll go with DNP’s carpet if they’re still making it. That NVH material looks easy to apply too.

@dnp Dave will hook you up. Lots of time and effort went into making nearly perfect carpets.

Amazon has the Noico. Order more than you need. Lots of places to put it.

Just make sure floors are clean, dry and rust mitigated prior to install.

And here’s the after. So satisfied!
8CCCEC74-FDA3-429C-BB87-B744F7101C1D.jpeg

Yes sir @bcolvin
SOR gray vinyl.
It doesn’t really get super hot here in the Northeast so a good option. Very happy with quality and fit. Was a bit nervous given cost but am very happy. Used SOR foam seat bottoms also.

DNP carpet
Noico
AND
Batting//padding/jute or whatever you call it

You’ll never get the rigs quiet but it is much more pleasant on longer trips.

Some of the best money ive spent
Yeah, anything will be better than the bare metal I'm rockin' now! haha

Ah this is great, I think I’ll go with DNP’s carpet if they’re still making it. That NVH material looks easy to apply too.
I did almost exactly the same thing as @Gundo did and it was absolutely worth it.

@dnp 's carpet replacement is excellent. Transformed the interior of my truck. You won't regret installing it.

@Gundo, reviving the thread, that looks great! I’m preparing to do the job myself, what Rust Bullet product did you use, just Metal Blast?

I think that you would definitely want to put sound deadener and maybe some mass loaded vinyl to give you less road noise and a more luxury driving experience but that is just me. I personally would go all out since you had it stripped with no carpet. The main reason I would be going through the extra trouble would be because I like a nice sound system in my vehicles so it would just be beneficial for getting rid of rattles and what not from my subwoofer plus whatever else I throw in there.

I definitely plan to use sound deadening butyl and I’m just now researching what vinyl will fit between the butyl and the DNP carpet that just arrived

I am skeptical that any vehicle with even the beginnings of rust in the floor will be able to be rust proofed since it will live on in the seams between metal. Because of this I'm very hesitant to put this sound deadened down, it looks impossible to remove and the rust will just continue growing unchecked underneath, like it does under raptor liner or zeibart. I was wondering if maybe it's possible to remove only certain portions of the adhesive backing so it could be removed later? It wouldn't be so tight up against the metal, not sure how that would affect its performance.

@MarkBC, that’s an interesting thought. Lucky for me I don’t see any apparent rust but I want to prepare everything just in case so after I pull the carpet I can actually do the job. I guess to your statement, it depends how bad the rust is, if there is any rust present at all.

Like, If you are laying down a piece that goes over a seam, you only remove the backing where there is nice clean painted metal where you are sure there is no rust, and leave the backing on where it goes over the seam. Maybe apply some rust inhibitor over the seam. That way, the sticky glue won't get in the rusty seam and be impossible to remove if need be in future.

I've never used the stuff so have no idea what the stickiness is like but I hear it's pretty sticky. I'm also not sure how only certain parts of the backing would be removed, maybe an exacto knife?

Mayne another option is to just trim the pieces so they dont go over seams?

@MarkBC, I think you’re better off treating with Rust Bucket general rust treater then painting the floor with the Rust Bucket inhibiting paint or a POR product

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom