What's the optimal caster? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in doing my spring over, I am at the point where I need to cut and turn the knuckles but am a little undecided on what I should be setting the caster at. My 1984 factory toyota manual says the caster should be around 1 degree. I spoke with someone from Over the Hill and they said they set their caster at 4-5 degrees. With larger tires does a couple more dergees in caster help out in the steering? What is everyone else setting their caster to when they cut and turn? ???

W Harold turned mine, and they are set at 4 degrees. With my 35's, it steers straight, and true. I have not noticed any increased tire cupping. I rotate every 5K to keep it that way.

Before the cut and turn, I did have a bunch of wander in the front end....of course the worn TRE's might have had something to do with it also... :doh:

Good luck! :cheers:

Depends on the tire size..
I did mine like 8* (like 12* total rotation)

This is giving me a better idea. My thought was that with bigger tire a little more caster could help. 4degrees would seem like a good compromise

For most of the larger tires you will never notice the wear. These are rigs that are not typically principally street driven rigs.. the bigger the tire the harder it is to manhandle around. A bit extra caster is nice to keep ot going down the street in a straight line..

FYI:
in case someone was wondering why you don't just put a ton of caster on a vehicle....

the higher the caster degree the more steering effort is needed to turn. This is because the caster wants to make the vehicle go in a straight line. (which is why we like it :D )

Anyway, for our purposes, with big tires, straight tracking is much more important than a little more effort in the turns

I just thought someone would like the info... it took me a while to get my head around everything. ::)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom