What's the latest on SCS wheels for the 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys, I need some help from changing from 275/60/18 OEM stock size to the 17x9 scs f5.

Most posts are for the older lc or lx that have the stock 16 and 17 size. I don’t see many posts on switching from stock 18 to 17.

One particular question is that a 275 has over 10” diameter. But the scs f5 wheel max diameter is a 9. Obviously, that wouldn’t fit right? Or am I miscalculating/misunderstanding something.

If anybody could tell me if it would work or not, whether or not I need spacers, and what tire size is recommended, I would appreciate it. Much appreciated.

SCS does not make a 17 wheel that would fit our 100 series. The only size they have is a 16x8.

SCS does not make a 17 wheel that would fit our 100 series. The only size they have is a 16x8.

Thanks for your reply. What tire size is recommended for a 16x8? Also, that is very skinny for a big tire. A 275 tire is about 10.4 inches wide and a 8 inch would be a 2+ inch change. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. What tire size is recommended for a 16x8? Also, that is very skinny for a big tire. A 275 tire is about 10.4 inches wide and a 8 inch would be a 2+ inch change. Is that correct?

Not that skinny. How big of tire are you planning on running? Not a wheel or tire guru but I’ve run 285/75r16

@Knowbuddy runs 285/75r16
I run 295/75r16
@duvinclunk runs 315/75r16

All on the 16x8 SCS F5 - zero issues!

Thanks for the details! You didn't need any spacers or anything right? Or any other custom configuration to support the tire?

I wonder how much that affects your mpg. Going from a 275/60/18 to a 285/75/16 results in this change using tiresizecalculator.com:

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 5.19.26 PM.png

I am running them as well and no issues, no spacers needed. I wish the offset was little lower.

yes Mine dropped . I am getting an average of 11.5 Now,, before I Think I got like 13

Compared to stock wheels and stock tires size? I’ve lost 1-2 mpg

100 Land Cruiser's are 5x150.

Thanks for the details! You didn't need any spacers or anything right? Or any other custom configuration to support the tire?

I wonder how much that affects your mpg. Going from a 275/60/18 to a 285/75/16 results in this change using tiresizecalculator.com:

View attachment 1943143
For 285/75r16 I think the only thing you have to do is massage the plastic liner with a heat gun. Bigger tires require the pinch weld mod that @duvinclunk documents quite well in his build thread with pics to support

Read up on tire size, offset, wheel back spacing - it’s a whole new world of info. Can be confusing as well, but at least start with bolt pattern.

Almost Any modication will negatively impact mpg. You drive a LC, bad mpg comes with the territory.

For 285/75r16 I think the only thing you have to do is massage the plastic liner with a heat gun. Bigger tires require the pinch weld mod that @duvinclunk documents quite well in his build thread with pics to support

Read up on tire size, offset, wheel back spacing - it’s a whole new world of info. Can be confusing as well, but at least start with bolt pattern.

Almost Any modication will negatively impact mpg. You drive a LC, bad mpg comes with the territory.

Thanks, I found the build post and understand it much better now. I have also done some more reading on tires as well but man it is a little confusing at first lol.

I'm thinking of the 16x5 and going with a safe tire size of 275/70/16. There won't much change in the speedometer/odometer as well.

I bought this car less than a month ago and the tires were not in good shape. Since I need to get the tires ASAP, I'd rather get the wheels now and go with a safe tire size and wait until I can get the bigger tires, do the modding required, and change suspension at the same time. Currently, the vehicle is still on the stock suspension (161k miles now) so I feel like I will have to change it soon.

Any thoughts?

? Why is that?

He got royally screwed by SCS. It turned me off of their wheels and I went with Visions instead. He has a well detailed thread on what SCS did.....wasn't very good of them for sure.

FYI, I contacted SCS since they've introduced some new configurations and a new model in recent months - They confirmed that the F5's are still the only wheel they recommend for the 100 series.

My experience: Very prompt responses to my questions, fast shipping.

Now that they are installed, I can confirm that for an LX470, they will rub a bit on turns in Normal height. I haven't yet taken a close look to see what needs to be trimmed, etc...

As for lugs, I ordered the Extended Thread Spline Lugs (ET Lugs M14x1.5) and they worked like a charm. I ordered the set of 23 in case I get a rear swing out for the spare at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom