What's the difference between Part number: 84222-12010 & 84210-52050 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both parts seem to be identical however the description of each is a bit similar.
I am not sure which to buy, since the central diff lock indicator when engaging H4/L4 is not appearing on dashboard
84222-12010.JPG
84210-52050.JPG

Both parts seem to be identical however the description of each is a bit similar.
I am not sure which to buy, since the central diff lock indicator when engaging H4/L4 is not appearing on dashboardView attachment 3191465View attachment 3191466

The description isn't even close to the same.

One is for back up lamps and one is for the diff locks.

As they have completely different part numbers and names, buy the one you need.

He is probably going off the info reported here numerous times that a reverse switch for a 2000 5spd Tacoma is an appropriate and more affordable solution to the diff lock switch.

From jonheld———-
There are 3 switches on the transfer case.
Two 84222-12010
One 84222-60081

From Tools R Us——-
What switch are you attempting to access? Looking at the NCF info starting in post #45, CDL Actuator Fun there are two switches relevant to the CDL. The 4 low position switch, senses the 4 low shift and turns on the CDL system, is on the rear of the transfer. The CDL indicator switch confirms CDL activation, turns on the dash light, off ABS and activates the axle lockers (if equipped).

If inop, both can be relatively inexpensively replaced. From your favorite parts store order a reverse light switch for a 2000 Tacoma with a 5spd trans.

And Kevin’s thread about CDL functionality

He is probably going off the info reported here numerous times that a reverse switch for a 2000 5spd Tacoma is an appropriate and more affordable solution to the diff lock switch.

From jonheld———-
There are 3 switches on the transfer case.
Two 84222-12010
One 84222-60081

From Tools R Us——-
What switch are you attempting to access? Looking at the NCF info starting in post #45, CDL Actuator Fun there are two switches relevant to the CDL. The 4 low position switch, senses the 4 low shift and turns on the CDL system, is on the rear of the transfer. The CDL indicator switch confirms CDL activation, turns on the dash light, off ABS and activates the axle lockers (if equipped).

If inop, both can be relatively inexpensively replaced. From your favorite parts store order a reverse light switch for a 2000 Tacoma with a 5spd trans.

And Kevin’s thread about CDL functionality
Thanks that really helped...Cheers

be sure to do the paper clip test to rule out a burnt dash bulb before spending money. I just went through this fix and elected not to do the jumper test first because the light had flickered a few times, so I convinced myself the bulb was good. I replaced all the sensors before replacing the bulb.

The switches are the same btw. Just get the less expensive ones. I used one from a Buick I got at Napa for about $20 each. There's a long thread here on mud covering this in detail, which is where I stole the Buick back up switch idea from.

Last edited:
be sure to do the paper clip test before spending money to rule out a burnt dash bulb. I just went through this fix and elected not to do the jumper test first because the light had flickered a few times, so I convinced myself the bulb was good. I replaced all the sensors before replacing the bulb.

The switches are the same btw. Just get the less expensive ones. I used one from a Buick I got at Napa for about $20 each. There's a long thread here on mud covering this in detail, which is where I stole the Buick back up switch idea from.
I will test if the CDL is locking first for sure, and will do the paper clip test, its on the CDL Actuator Fun - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cdl-actuator-fun.68015/page-3 link right?

i too jumped the sensor first to eliminate a bad bulb. check passed.

then i pulled the switch, cycled it manually and tapped it forcefully on the concrete garage floor. reinstalled. dash light worked!

bought a $20 switch at autozone but haven't need to install it.

I used the cheap Beck Arnley switch and a year later its "spinning" (when screwed in, connector still turns). The switch is intermittent. If I wiggle/rotate the connector it will function properly. I may have to bite the bullet and get the correct switch from a dealer and see if it hold up better.

Just want to clarify on this the two switches next to each other are the two that are 84222-12010 - Correct? There are no identifying marks on these switches that I can see to match up with the ones I am swapping out.

Just want to clarify on this the two switches next to each other are the two that are 84222-12010 - Correct? There are no identifying marks on these switches that I can see to match up with the ones I am swapping out.
The 2 switches that are next to each other are different part numbers. Please see the picture below:

1699624127494.png

This looks very well thought out. Glad I asked. Thanks for posting!
That's what happens when you have an extra transfer case in your garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom