What's the best Wiring Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yu know, I got tired of trying to fix, I don't know how many P.O's hack on mine, I simply tore it all out. Everything. I didn't even try to match anything oem, because there wasn't a whole lot original anyway. I bought a harness from EZ and it really was EZ. Now I'm not a purist, I've got a SBC, a chevy tilt column, and I added all new Autometer gages. Finally EVERYTHING works! Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I used an 18 circuit painless wiring harness and mine didn't look like a Frankenstein. ..... If you do it right, take your time, and plan it out, you will not make a mess of the new harness. You can also used any extra stuff like power windows and such for other electrical items you add later. If it looks like a Frankenstein and it is a mess, that is all because it was put together that way.

I agree with this post

wire repair

personnally I would Just remove the damaged wires and replace them

since you have the harness off rewrap it or use conduit.

now would be a good time to run a few spare wires through the bundle for later use if needed

If you decide to build an new harness I would suggest laying the whole thing out as installed on plywood then trace it out putting in a screw or peg where it forks then lay out your new wires to match

you could even take and have it fabric wrapped if you wanted to be really cool!

take photos of all the connectors as a ref for ordering new

From a vehicle value point of view Oem is probably best

new OEM harness?

As in a new OEM harness? thats going to dent the wallet. get one for your year chassis, thats the more important factor since engine wiring is simple, and you'd have to hack up a later harness pretty good to get it to work, since brake lights/blinkers, dash wiring, switches etc all changed.

Where would you get a new OEM? I thought they were discontinued?

EZ is a rip off... heres a universal bunch of wires and a fuse block and a make specific manual and go to town.

There is a wiring diagram on here somewhere, not quite overwhelming especially if you have the stock wires in there for guide.

So, if you're making a new-duplicate of the OEM harness, is there any harm in using larger wires?

Curiosity only, my OEM harness is in fine shape.

Also, is it possible to duplicate the jacket coloring scheme, e.g. yellow stripe on a gray jacket, without buying huge reels of wire?

Kirk

I doubt that you could buy ALL the wires that matched your stock jacket colors, but I have seen places that have a fairly large selection for sale by the foot. Most univeral woring kits are made to plug into a chevy colum so using both really simpifies the job

So, if you're making a new-duplicate of the OEM harness, is there any harm in using larger wires?
Kirk

No, it will help some things like head lights, maybe tail lights be brighter and it will make the harness bigger which can make routing it fun... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom