whats the best idea to having a good MPG "gas" 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like some people are doing the V8 chevys etc.. but does it actually improve the MPG of the 80? are there any other good gas swap engines to be better fuel efficient, yet have good torque and power and reliability to outperform the stock I6 4.5?

YES!! I've been waiting for a thread JUST LIKE THIS ONE. There just aren't enough of these threads out there...

Subscribed!

the V8s give you more hp and grunt without sacrificing mpgs. i don't see anything wrong with that.
it's usually the cost of a swap that gets you unless you are in a situation where it is advantageous.

the 1FZ is a really well designed motor, just thirsty and down on HP

The key to the 80 series getting max fuel economy is leave it at stock height and tire size. Do not ad any weight or aerodynamic hurdles. The best any of my 80s got was when they were stock and at that they got about 17-18 on the highway at 70mph on flat ground. There is simply no easy way to get decent mpg out of a 5k lb truck with 212 hp and full time 4wd.

Stock Michelin tires, stock ride height, no roof rack, no rear deflector, no running boards, toss everything you can overboard and keep it below 60mph. You would be surprised what you will get.

Car and Driver recently tested a few mileage theories. The article is here.

As mentioned above, roof racks and cargo carriers make a big difference. I was really surprised to see that even the roof rack cross bars had a significant effect. They were using a minivan in the test.

roof_chart.jpg

A/C of course made a difference as well.

ac_chart.jpg

100lbs of cargo...

junk_chart.jpg

Seems like some people are doing the V8 chevys etc.. but does it actually improve the MPG of the 80? are there any other good gas swap engines to be better fuel efficient, yet have good torque and power and reliability to outperform the stock I6 4.5?

You can get incredibly awesome mileage... park it and don't use it:rolleyes:

find a very long hill.

coast down.

honestly...like Gary and Dan said -- no mods, nothing that hinders aerodynamics and stock wheel/tire size -- at 55 mph...

downhill with a tailwind ;)

Gas was $4.00/gal not too long ago. Just filled up for $1.89. Pretend you doubled your mpg...of course thats silly, but unfortunately so is trying to get "good" mpg from an 80.

Car and Driver recently tested a few mileage theories. The article is here.

As mentioned above, roof racks and cargo carriers make a big difference. I was really surprised to see that even the roof rack cross bars had a significant effect. They were using a minivan in the test.

roof_chart.jpg

A/C of course made a difference as well.

ac_chart.jpg

100lbs of cargo...

junk_chart.jpg

Ahh, one more mod for Thanksgiving break. One more reason to get rid of my rust rack. I read that it is a PITA.

ummm, by a car, save teh 80 for "special"occasions

i get better mileage on my 315's than i did with my 285's. cruise control at 60mph. of course this is hwy only, where 90% of my driving is with the 80. now in the city...smaller tires rule. i ave 16-17 on the hwy with arb front, 315's, sliders, and no roof rack. run synthetics in motor, diffs, and tcase....then x your fingers.

a nicely built sbc will give you better mileage im sure. 5000 lbs of AWD road tank is alot for a tiny 4.5L I6 to move...

good mileage and FZJ80's dont belong in the same sentence...

ummm, by a car, save teh 80 for "special"occasions

good point. I have a Honda Moped/ dirtbike/ road bike that gets 70 mpg, and a 22+ mpg 4WD Hilux that both cost me less than any mod anybody can do, to get any kind of noticeable gains from a Cruiser.

Stock Michelin tires, stock ride height, no roof rack, no rear deflector, no running boards, toss everything you can overboard and keep it below 60mph. You would be surprised what you will get.

16.4 MPG? Maybe!:hmm::idea::lol:

I agree with Hilux.
i'
I've never seen anyone say this before.... i confused :confused:

anyway... you really aren't going to get good mileage in an 80... although if you wanted to blow a ton of cash you could
get a chevy v8 with cylinder deactivation
get a 5 or 6 speed manual
replace all filters
use synthetic fluid in everything
try that fitch fuel thing.... they work on diesels
stock height remove all excess weight
and lastly... just tow it everywhere you go

16.4 MPG? Maybe!:hmm::idea::lol:

My wife's 95 pulled down 20 mpg comming home from Denver to Albuquerque, stock, front driveshaft pulled (because the coupler was locked up), ~60 mph.

We pulled 17.2mpg going to Texas to visit my dad. Stock 96, with roof rack/rear spoiler, running boards and 265's. Loaded for vacation, I was happy.

running boards actually improve MPG's. If you pulled the rack & spoiler, I bet you would hit 18+mpg's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom