What's that oil coming out of my front passenger wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Just a week ago I begin noticing a slight vibration when I step on the brakes at slow speed. Kind of feels like when the antilock system kicking in when you are driving in slippery snow. So I checked my wheels and see a fair amount of liquid leaking out from inside of the wheel where the brake components are. The liqiud looks like motor oil but I doubt motor oil leaks from the wheel.

What is this fluid and this virabration when I step on the brake. Could it be diff or brake fluid leaking? I hope it's not a brifeild problem since I don't hear any clicks.

Thanks for any help in advance.

-J

Sounds like the inner axle seal went and the diff oil is leaking out through the steering knuckle.

The gear lube is now mixing with the wheel bearing grease and making a huge mess of it.

10050-steering_knuckle_after_axle_seal_broke.jpg

Could be two things. Vibration usually means rotors.

Have you checked your Brake Fluid level in the Engine Res? If thats fine, then it definitly is Diff fluid. Barke fluid isn't as thick.

If its diff fluid, then changeing rotors and Pads is easy when your doinga Front Axle rebuild.

It might be worth removing the tire and wheel to get a better look at the situation. Its possible for it to be gear lube or brake fluid. If you feel "pulsing" through the brake pedal then you probably have a slightly warped rotor.
Vibration (not felt through the pedal) could be many things.

Check it out in any case.....as you don't want fluids on the brake rotor.

FWIW....the absence of clicking sound doesn't mean you don't need a birf repack...

I would check it out ASAP....

I would likely start with a good look at the brake caliper - I just had the seals on one of my calipers fail.. However, if this is the case, you should see the brake fluid drop.

Cheers, Hugh

Hi, I think bongani you might be right, because I see the liquid now is starting to look a bit grayish in color. I did check the brake reservior and it's full didn't lose any fluid there.

I have dropped the truck off this morning at the local Midas shop and they told me it's a axle seal leak and that they will not be able to perform the repair because they do not have the proper tools. The guy recommeded me to go to a Toyota or Lexus dealer.

Any ideal, how long I can drive before the axle breaks apart? What would this cost at the dealer (I know they charge way too much) might go to another local auto shop for a 2nd opinion.

Thanks
-J

Axle seal replacement/front axle rebuild is a very common and well documented home mechanic procedure--I haven't done mine on my 60 but probably will this summer. I could swear I read a post somewhere recently that said dealer will want $1200 to do it, but I may be wrong--I can't find that thread anywhere. At any rate, if you're willing to do some wrenching you can save yourself a bunch of money. Search the archives, read all you can find, and decide for yourself whether you're up to it--it's frequently described as "not that hard, but really messy".

Start with the Axle/Drivetrain writeups in the technical links section...whether you do it yourself or not, get it taken care of, and Good Luck!

I have a reciept from the PO of my '96 and he paid around $1200 at a North Shore (Boston area) Toyota dealer for the front axle service.

And, amazingly I don't think they did the axle seals (the seal p/n was absent from the parts area of the reciept). I have to recheck that one to be sure. Seems kind of foolish to R&R all that junk and not fix the source of the problem.

Definitely a good do-it-yourslef item that wil save you big $$ if you are mechanically inclined.

Charlie

CharlieS said:
I have a reciept from the PO of my '96 and he paid around $1200 at a North Shore (Boston area) Toyota dealer for the front axle service.

And, amazingly I don't think they did the axle seals (the seal p/n was absent from the parts area of the reciept). I have to recheck that one to be sure. Seems kind of foolish to R&R all that junk and not fix the source of the problem.

Definitely a good do-it-yourslef item that wil save you big $$ if you are mechanically inclined.

Charlie

You are correct the inner axle seals (less than $3 part) are not part of the "dealer maintence" list... :rolleyes:

If you don't feel up to this job yourself are they any other members in your area that could assist with your first time? :D Good luck!

Unforturnately it seems the "professionals" botch this job more times than not. IMO, as a minimum, you need to read through the archieves and educate yourself on the proceedure. And if you decide to have someone else do it, that's fine, but you'll know what needs to be done, and can comunicate or ask specifics so you know what their doing. Like "what kind of grease are you going to use in the knuckle, what kind of diff fluid, be sure to check the seating of knuckle housing studs (they're are more than a handful of cases where they've come loose after an axle job), are you replacing all seals, do you have the proceedure for setting the bearing preload" etc..

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom