What's a normal idle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It may be all in my head, but my idle doesn't seem as smooth as it was pre-head gasket repair. How smooth is your idle? This is no A/C, up to full temp.

Replaced VSV and intake manifold hoses when I did HG. Brand new OE intake hose. New plugs, wires and distributor. Wires are NGK, not Toyota.

Maybe double check for air/vacuum leaks including the seals for the injectors?? Assuming the valve cover got new spark plug tube seals??

I believe the FSM specifies a 625rpm idle.

Last edited:
Is this in P/N or drive? Both of mine settle at exactly 650 after warming up. Also, I think the ECU takes a couple drives to "learn". Brake booster vaccum hose can crack with age too.

Give the throttle body a good clean with carb cleaner including the IAC
best to remove the throttle body and do off vehicle so you can get to the back of it and all the air passages

also, FWIW your oil pressure is showing what mine started doing at idle a couple of months back. I removed the sender and sprayed carby & then contact cleaner into the threaded section of of the sender where the oil goes in and then let it dry upside down so it could drain out. The way the sender is mounted means some oil will always be within it and I reckon it got a bit gummed up limiting movement of the diaphragm
It has since worked like new again & I did test with an external gauge and pressure was spot on

600 - 650 rpm is what Ive always beleived to be the normal hot operating idle in N or P

Last edited:
Looks fine to me. Mine idles (park/AC off) at 625-650 rpm). It will fluctuate slightly (watching ScanGauge) 10-25 rpm.

To answer questions -

It's in drive.
Brand new OE oil pressure sending unit.
Throttle body was thoroughly cleaned off vehicle.
IAC was cleaned
Injectors were serviced with new seals
Brand new tube seals
New PCV with a Vacmotion catch can

I am sometimes smelling a little burning oil but have no visible leaks.

Yeah, mine usually has kind of a rough, pulsating idle in Drive, especially when cold. Sometimes I feel the whole seat is vibrating, but it dissipates when I put it into neutral. Otherwise it runs fine and idles at 600-650. I have noticed the oil pressure gauge wandering all over the place, butI've read the stock gauge readings should be taken with a grain of salt.

I've cleaned the throttle body and done a tune up recently.

My Tacoma did this too, maybe it's just an old Toyota thing?

so many spots in egr system that can have slight leaks. youd have to yank the upper intake and redo all the little hoses underneath. its a rats nest under there and probablu should just be deleted....but i digress....

Brand new throttle cable. It'll double check it's at the correct setting. EGR delete using HuddExpo kit.

I am thinking I'm just hypersensitive to every little thing since head gasket.

I'm mainly asking about the pulsating and not the actual idle speed.

Last edited:
Mine occasionally has a little pulse like that as well. I'm guessing it is a very minor vacuum leak that will eventually be addressed during while I'm in there PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom