Whatchu Workin' On? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A friend of a coworker just bought a 91'fj80 and is trying to pick it up in castle rock today. He said that it idles fine in park, but as soon as you move it into gear it starts mis-firing and runs very rough. Then when shifted back to park it smooths out again. Any thoughts?

Sounds like either electrical or a fuel filter. If its electrical Its a big connection like a fusable link or battery corrosion. Whichever it is the load on the motor requiring more fuel/spark is whats bringing the misfire out. Is it throwing any codes?

I think I've heard of a case where the torque on the engine when putting it into gear opened up a crack in the intake hose leading to unmetered air and rough running.

A friend of a coworker just bought a 91'fj80 and is trying to pick it up in castle rock today. He said that it idles fine in park, but as soon as you move it into gear it starts mis-firing and runs very rough. Then when shifted back to park it smooths out again. Any thoughts?

3FEs don't like vacuum leaks. Inability to set idle speed low enough is a good indication of vacuum leak. Also, check plugs, rotor, cap, and wires.

Follow up. He told me they tested compression and two cylinders were at zero so they are under the impression that it's a blown head gasket at this point.

Just bought an 04 Corolla as a DD to keep the miles off of the 80. Has a bad clutch, and I'm thinking about replacing it myself (priced it into the selling price, but maybe not as much as I should have). Does anybody have a low-rise transmission jack I could borrow? If not, I'll probably pick up the Harbor Freight unit.

Just bought an 04 Corolla as a DD to keep the miles off of the 80. Has a bad clutch, and I'm thinking about replacing it myself (priced it into the selling price, but maybe not as much as I should have). Does anybody have a low-rise transmission jack I could borrow? If not, I'll probably pick up the Harbor Freight unit.

Eric, I have the HF tranny jack. Let me know if you want to borrow it. @EricG

Eric, I have the HF tranny jack. Let me know if you want to borrow it. @EricG

Great! Not going to get to it this weekend, but maybe next one.

Reactions: SAS
Follow up. He told me they tested compression and two cylinders were at zero so they are under the impression that it's a blown head gasket at this point.

3FEs don't blow head gaskets! That's why people buy them! At least a HG is easy to replace on that motor without having to worry about cam gears.

Hey all,

A lot has been happening in my world in the past month. Moved into the new place, got a dog, had surgery AND got a running project FJ40. Overall things are going great, and I love it up in WP!

I recently posted up in the tech section about a tranny leak into the transfer. Here: 3 speed auto leaking into transfer

Based on the comments in the post, it is looking like I need to remove transfer, disassemble, inspect and replace seals. I have zero experience with removing a transfer case, let alone tearing it apart. Is anyone here familiar with the process, or have a shop recommendation?

Hopefully I can get this back on the road quickly! New toy...no workie :(

Replaced the power steering pump on the 80 this weekend. Had some issues - when I attempted to torque the not onto the pump shaft on the new unit, the threads stripped well before I got to the required level (54 ft-pounds). Pretty unbelievable - second defective part out of that order (threads were bad on one of the brake calipers as well).

Got another one locally and installed it. But lots of foaming/air in the fluid now. I filled the pump before installing the hoses, and filled the reservoir before starting it. Any suggestions?

If I recall correctly you can turn wheel slowly stop to stop and bleed the air out. All done engine not running. Need to be on jack stands. If it gets foamy let it sit for s bit . You can use the same method for flushing the system by disconnecting the return hose.

If I recall correctly you can turn wheel slowly stop to stop and bleed the air out. All done engine not running. Need to be on jack stands. If it gets foamy let it sit for s bit . You can use the same method for flushing the system by disconnecting the return hose.

Yea, did that before I started it as well. Will try again later.

Hey all,

A lot has been happening in my world in the past month. Moved into the new place, got a dog, had surgery AND got a running project FJ40. Overall things are going great, and I love it up in WP!

I recently posted up in the tech section about a tranny leak into the transfer. Here: 3 speed auto leaking into transfer

Based on the comments in the post, it is looking like I need to remove transfer, disassemble, inspect and replace seals. I have zero experience with removing a transfer case, let alone tearing it apart. Is anyone here familiar with the process, or have a shop recommendation?

Hopefully I can get this back on the road quickly! New toy...no workie :(
I recommend Bear Auto 591-5700 they are located on Valley near Ford and Galley. Don Ott is the owner and has lots of experience with old Landcrusiers.

I noticed that lately I seem to be standing around a little longer waiting for my tires to air up. While my trusty Viair 450 has never been the fastest compressor out there, it seemed it had slowed down more than usual. I went ahead and pulled it apart, found all kinds of grime in it. The filter is pretty good, so I think it was just material from the piston ring degrading. The sleeve walls were in pretty bad shape as well. I'm not disappointed, this little guy has been filling up my tires, without a hiccup, for going on eight years now. Those of you that know how much I'm out wheeling know that's a pretty good reliability record. :cool:
My advise to anyone with a small compressor like this is to pull it apart every wheeling season and wipe out the sleeve. I will be doing this from now on. I feel that if the junk hadn't been left in there the sleeve would have been worn, but maybe not scored quite so badly.
Anyway, I called up Newmatics, the distributor for viair parts, and ordered up a new sleeve and piston assembly.
I timed it filling my 2.5 gallon tank before teardown. It took 4.56 minutes to reach shut off at 145 psi. After rebuild, it filled it in 4.30 minutes. Shaved almost a half a minute. Lol. The motor sounds a little slower, I think due to the tighter tolerances. I expect it'll get a bit faster as the parts wear together. :)

New sleeve is pretty evident.
IMG_0480.JPG

New piston and ring on the right.
IMG_0481.JPG

Last edited:
The 40 fried the headlight circuit and melted down my new Blue Sea fuse panel. I was driving around town at night with dim headlights and thought I was following someone who's brakes or clutch was burning... smelled just like that...turned out to be my breaker panel frying! I've been without headlights for a month now. I was desperate. I thought maybe I had fried my headlight switch or dimmer switch. So I ordered one of those H4 halogen headlight wiring relay harness from ebay or Amazon..I think maybe ebay..$18.00 or so. Had to ream out the stock headlight bucket to get the new ceramic headlight sockets in..found good grounds and mounted the relay to the battery per instructions. Had to order from ebay the similar headlight extensions..$8 bucks as I needed to adapt the 40 plug to the modern socket. you only need to use one of the headlight socket plugs for both headlights now. did a bit of soldering and hooked them up. Freakin' A! My headlights are much brighter with my basic Sylvania halogen round headlights!.. I cleaned up my original headlight wire/fuse panel connection and made a new connection to the new Blue Sea fuse panel. I've been driving using the headlights and checking by sticking my finger on the headlight/fuse panel junction...no heat now! My old wiring was carked at certain points, This cheap fix is just what was needed. Apparently this relay setup takes the amp load off the headlight switch and dimmer switch and fires the headlights directly from the battery through the relays to the headlights. It works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom