Whatchu Workin' On? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fitzgerald

Hey! Where'd the mountians go?!?!?
Threads
To paraphrase Mr. Stacey David's segment on Gearz, "What are you working on?"

During meetings or trail runs, I hear a ton of stories about the neat stuff you guys are doing. Not everyone is into starting build threads, so I thought this might be a fun way to get the word out on what some of you are doing (with out having to go into a ton of detail or take a million pics).

Hopefully, it will be fun for you guys and inspiring to those of us wanting / needing to get out to the garage more. Doesn't have to be Toyota related (;)), shoot... doesn't even have to be 4wd related.

Working on a cool/fun project... post something up!

:cheers:

Last edited:
The first of what I'm sure will be many...

I've got everything I need to put in my sooper-dooper ski-high lift. That's right, next time you see the 100, it'll be 1.18 inches taller!!!!! ;)

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

Last edited:
Hey man, an inch can make a lot of difference! I love this idea. And I'm a HUGE Stacy David fan. Been watching him since he hosted Trucks! before it was on Spike TV.

I'll bite.

I'm working on helping my wife with refurbishing her school house door for our upcoming new addition on our house. It's a 2" thick, solid oak door, and very heavy. We have the ball bearing hinges for it thankfully, but will have to get a custom frame for it. Our house is kinda funny, when you walk in, you almost fall down the stairs. We want a bigger entry with places to put shoes and jackets, and get ready in the morning :)

Also working on an Elocker that I traded out for some suspension work. Turns out the motor that engages it was bad, but I've completely torn it apart and figured out the black magic behind it. It will be good as new when I'm finished. This may end up being the new front locker in a possible upcoming Samurai project :)

image-2521020060.jpg

image-2526945938.jpg

Been looking into lights to use instead of the ARB amber lamps. After a little research I found out that ARB's marker lamps are identical to 1st gen VW golf front marker lamps. A quick search of Ebay landed me these little gems.

image-1383838100.jpg

image-4234457157.jpg

image-1383838100.jpg

image-4234457157.jpg

Put the finishing touches (ghetto fab exhaust) on a 2UZ conversion in a buddies 40, made a long bed frame a short bed frame since the short bed frame was beyond dangerous. Rear spring hanger tore out just being trailered...

I found out that ARB's marker lamps are identical to 1st gen VW golf front marker lamps.

Really? For all ARB's, or just the 80 series ARB? Neither of my ARB bumpers had lights when I got them. I just want orange units. Wanna sell your originals? We're going to need to see a night picture of your parking lamps on :)

Last edited:
Everybody knows what I've been up to...but just in case you didn't know...the FJ40 is nearing completion! Once the wiring gets here...it should be quick progress. kyle-landcruiser.blogspot.com

Too cool guys!!!! Just the kind of stuff I was hoping to see! :clap:

I'm working on helping my wife with refurbishing her school house door for our upcoming new addition on our house. It's a 2" thick, solid oak door, and very heavy. We have the ball bearing hinges for it thankfully, but will have to get a custom frame for it. Our house is kinda funny, when you walk in, you almost fall down the stairs. We want a bigger entry with places to put shoes and jackets, and get ready in the morning :)

Also working on an Elocker that I traded out for some suspension work. Turns out the motor that engages it was bad, but I've completely torn it apart and figured out the black magic behind it. It will be good as new when I'm finished. This may end up being the new front locker in a possible upcoming Samurai project :)

I saw that door in your garage and meant to ask you about it. One beefy door! And ever sense I sent you that Samuri link from Craigslist, I've been thinking how fun it would be to have one... although it'd be a bit like a circus bear riding a tricycle.

Been looking into lights to use instead of the ARB amber lamps. After a little research I found out that ARB's marker lamps are identical to 1st gen VW golf front marker lamps. A quick search of Ebay landed me these little gems.

Man Greg, those VeeDub lights look like a perfect match. I wonder how took their ARB to the junk yard and search all the different makes and models until they found those... :D

Have been trying to find a Grant Steering wheel installation kit for a '95 toyota P/U. Can anyone help me out?

???? Did you try any of the Tacoma sites? I just to frequent them when I had my Taco. Tons of info.

Put the finishing touches (ghetto fab exhaust) on a 2UZ conversion in a buddies 40, made a long bed frame a short bed frame since the short bed frame was beyond dangerous. Rear spring hanger tore out just being trailered...

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Everybody knows what I've been up to...but just in case you didn't know...the FJ40 is nearing completion! Once the wiring gets here...it should be quick progress. kyle-landcruiser.blogspot.com

Jess has the weekend of the Riverwalk off, so were planning on heading down to check out your 40!

:cheers:

Got the tailgate installed today...along with the vacuum switches for the 4WD...waiting on wiring...that is really holding me up! I took that day off to so I can be there...I have every intention...

Made some stays for the trailer tailgate and cleaned up and painted the inside of the trailer box. Ran out of time last summer so it was still bare metal inside.

Got a Nuvi 350 with extras off ebay early cheap. The nice thing about this one is it will show other APRS stations as waypoints so comm is bi-directional to the radio. Got it mounted and installed this afternoon. Added a new power port against the center console on the passenger side under the dash.

LC dash.jpg
before

radiogps.jpg
after

radiogps.jpg

LC dash.jpg

Last edited:

Wow, I hate taking my dash apart to that degree. I always mange to break off a little clip or tab or loose a screw. They always rattle after I'm done. :mad:

As for the Garmin, does it let you see the APRS in real time?

LC dash.jpg

If by seeing APRS in real time you mean seeing other stations in real time, then yes, kind of. The Garmin updates periodically based on the other station's beaching frequency. Every time my radio gets a data packet it will send that updated information to the Garmin.

You are right, it sure can be easy to break things taking the dash apart.

image-433813444.jpg

Elocker motor can all cleaned up and the inside painted. Glued the magnets back in with RC car glue. Cleaned the aluminum inside of the gear housing and coated it with battery corrosion spray. Re-installed the motor brushes and armature. Tested it and it works like bran spanky new. Nothing to it. Gerry Rafferty radio on Pandora jamming all night. Figured Travis would be proud :)

image-433813444.jpg

image-1555160005.jpg

Wow - what are you going to do about that chunk missing out of the housing flange!?

Got some more work done on the trailer yesterday, but still at the office so there won't be much progress tonight :(

Wow - what are you going to do about that chunk missing out of the housing flange!?
I have the piece that goes in the hole and fits like a puzzle. Nothing a little silicone won't take care of :) I figure the O-ring seal is a terrible design anyway, looks to me like the aluminum is low grade, and corrodes quickly. Once corrosion builds around the O-ring, water will be allowed to seep past. I am going to seal the entire thing with RTV.

Last edited:
Yea, the o-ring is definitely crap. I've had trouble keeping my rear one dry even with rtv

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom