Whatchu Workin' On? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just found this CO group, so this is my first post here. Nice to meet everyone.

Recently, I took my fj80 in for an alignment and found out that it wouldnt hold an alignment due to shot control arm bushings and tie rod ends. Long story short, things escalated, great deals emerged, and I ended up replacing my tired OME 3" suspension with a full Icon Stage 3 suspension (after way too many hours reading threads on suspension in the fj80 forum). Turns out my driver's front shock was so toast that when I compressed it, it never returned... Which explained a lot about my rough ride. The install went pretty smooth outside of my axel shifting ever so slightly when I took off both control arms and it settled in the stands. I was advised against taking off both control arms at the same time for exact reason, but I only wanted to make one trip to my local mechanic to press the bushings in to save time...

Anyway, I just did my 100mile re-torque and it seems to be settling in nicely. So far, I love the ride, but it's still a bit early to give a full report.

Also, what do people do with old springs? Seems like a waste to just toss them. Anyone want them?

IMG_20171222_134635942.jpg

IMG_20171218_202013294_LL.jpg

IMG_20171218_182257752_LL.jpg

IMG_20180104_145131886_HDR.jpg

Old springs usually go to the metal recycle; but they are sometimes used by 4Runner guys to add lift and weight-carrying capacity. Since it's an OME spring kit, you might be able to sell it? How many miles were on the OME 3" lift?

Old springs usually go to the metal recycle; but they are sometimes used by 4Runner guys to add lift and weight-carrying capacity. Since it's an OME spring kit, you might be able to sell it? How many miles were on the OME 3" lift?

Good to know. I'm not entirely sure how many miles or how old. It was on when I bought it at 140k miles, so I'm guessing they probably have at least 140-180k miles on them since I'm at 230k now.

Anyone that wants to pick them up in Boulder, they're yours.

Last edited:
I just bought these...

22DC455E-0EE1-428E-B449-07B887706283.jpeg

9A5D7FC5-8E46-46F8-83E9-907733FE096C.jpeg

0400D680-B874-4449-9E13-6B253B860550.jpeg

To put on this

1E415EB4-AF73-4202-9D9C-7BFC2FDB9BC6.jpeg

Those aren’t scratches, just bad sun angle and reflections

And turn it into this
491AFC84-A9D1-4A17-82C4-30A32B98A62D.jpeg

832D43D2-28AD-46AD-B5DE-A9066790A4AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good! Just received a new CVT rooftop tent for me and the family... My weekend project is installing a new roof rack, sliders, and the tent in preparation for a MOAB -> Sedona trip!

Thanks guys, its been a lot of work but fun. Here is a link to the build thread I started in the 120 section. Lots more in the works, and wife is fully behind the build :bounce:

CO_Hunter’s GX470 build

@sorich -We used to live in Flagstaff, that is beautiful part of the country. Hope you like your RTT, we really enjoy ours.

It hasn’t been said yet, but in order to offset the growing bills, I am going to have to sell the 80 :frown:. Actually it is an LX450 I have had for ten years, believe it was the first in the club :grinpimp:

Nothing fancy or exciting: Steering Pump replacement, 2 ujoints that we're looking/sounding iffy. Fuel pump wire repair...side note, has anyone else had a problem with their wiring to the fuel pump? About 6" from the battery connection I had a s***ty fuesable link that went bad...it took DAYS to figure out why my cruiser wouldnt start....

Nothing fancy or exciting: Steering Pump replacement, 2 ujoints that we're looking/sounding iffy. Fuel pump wire repair...side note, has anyone else had a problem with their wiring to the fuel pump? About 6" from the battery connection I had a s***ty fuesable link that went bad...it took DAYS to figure out why my cruiser wouldnt start....

I got my new rack all welded up next I need some paint, soon my new tent will have somewhere to live.

What spec tubing did you use? What towers did yo use to mount the rack?

Anyone have aluminum welding experience?

I’m thinking of getting a spool gun and giving a try at making my own roof rack, kinda of like this. If you have time to talk over any tips or look outs I would appreciate it. You can PM me your number.

The magnificent roofrack build thread

I actually had good luck feeding aluminum wire through a regular gun. The real problem was having enough power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom