What was I thinking- How NOT to go about buying an FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know the meaning of Frankenstein, all of my cruisers had parts from different years and models. I still have a couple boxes of parts that I've hoarded over the years "in case" I needed them. If you can't find a part PM me I might have it, I just live down the Interstate from you.
Both of my Cruiser are tore apart again to fix things I don't like. I need to spend less time working on them and more time drving them. Hopefully I'll have at least one done by nest summer since I plan on moving towards Boise then.

awesome truck to sstart with!! And good for you for figuring out how to work on it. A cruiser owner should know his rig top to bottom and not expect someone else to fix it for him/her. Congrats!!!! Youre on a road to discovery and excitement!

Thanks for all the great tips and encouragement.
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I'm usually in the garage, on the roof, or in the basement tearing something apart, or attempting to put it back together again.

I didn't know orange was such a rare color. My wife forbid me to park it on the street the way it was, so I started painting it with a pleasant Krylon green. Maybe, when I'm ready for the full blown restore, I'll go back to the orange.

Not sure where to find engine s/n. I did take a photo of the number I found on the block. Is that it? I'm clueless.
IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_2309.jpg

Are you thinking it's a fj55 engine because the sticker on the valve cover says 155? Or something similar?

I did find a place where the sticker would be, but no sticker.

The guy I bought it off of said the F that was in the rig was bad, so he swopped it with what he had lying around, which he said was from a '66 FJ55.

doesn't look that bad from what I see I've seen a lot worse restored.

My advice is first give it all a good look over--how's the frame?

from the look of the body I am guessing it is in decent shape

pumpkin is a great color if you decide to keep it

What are your plans for it ?

Frame looks pretty straight, except for the very rear cross piece. Looks like someone tried to pull a stump with it.

Body is pretty good too, except for the rear panels and the "normal" rust spots. Tub is pretty solid, apart from some surface rust.

Paint it back the original orange. That is a great color that is very unique. Good luck! Looks like a solid rig to start with. Remember that the search function on this site can be very helpful.

Later,

Orange is a great color. I always wanted an orange 4x4. But, if I'm going to invest in a good paint job, I'm going right down to the frame and I'm not prepared to do that right now. I have neither the time or money.

I have only two goals for this season.
1: to get it running and on the road.
2: to make my wife happy, and not have it look like a calico cat.

But! Now that I'm getting multiple posts on the orange, I'm sure going to make orange the final... once I get to that point.

Thanks!

... I now have my bezel on right! (not reflected in the photo)

Nice Rig

Welcome to MUD

we have alot of Frankenstein rigs here :)

as others have said, keep it orange.

How about an updated photo? ;)

Last edited:
Yikes!
I have the Bezel police after me now.

If you look at my opening testimony, I do mention that I righted the wrong as soon as I found out.

But, just for the record, I submit the following.
(you can also see the new Krylon color scheme)

I'm also being hounded by the "too many attachments" police, but that's another story. :)
IMG_2482.jpg

acording to an article in an issue ov offroad vehicles 1973 that orange color was called the baha cruiser and decals plus options like dual shocks ,bumpers and other stuff could be ordered through the dealerfor it .good luck

Not sure where to find engine s/n. I did take a photo of the number I found on the block. Is that it? I'm clueless.
Looks like 5 08 19, which is 1965 Aug. 19th.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom