What wall thickness/ pipe size for a single loop rollbar? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My BJ73 with FRP top does not have the typical interior factory roll bar. I like the wrap around exterior cage bars going from bumpers to roof rack etc..., but I'm realizing that is alot of work/time when a simple roll bar would suffice. My concern is getting crushed in a low speed roll over. Or short roll down a hill. (not end over end for 200 feet, or high speed anything). Not interested in a full cage just a single loop above or slightly behind the drivers seat. Would prefer small diameter thicker pipe to larger diameter thin pipe. Thinking about being unobtrusive. Anyone have a knowledgeable answer or experienced advice in a good size? to completely wing it I would think 2" diameter pipe with 1/4 or 3/8 wall. 4-5" square plates bolted to the floor.

2" DOM tubing with 0.120 wall is pretty standard. A little thicker wall is better, perhaps, but bending it becomes more of a challenge.

Absolutely do not do a single hoop. That’s a death trap.

I have seen many a death trap roll cage and that’s a cage.

Triangles not squares. Do not build any kind of roll cage out of squares. No single hoops, I do t even recommended double hoops with some triangle gussets.

It’s your life which obviously you are concerned with but the factory roll bar will take more than a death trap.

I do agree, they need better roll over protection than stock but only a proper roll cage. Any way you slice it that will be somewhat obtrusive.

Cheers

I would feel OK for what I intend to do If I had a factory steel hard top and nothing else, but I don't. I have a FRP top and the factory roll bar you normally see is not present. In this situation I feel if my vehicle tipped over the top may snap and completely collapse where a steel hard top would bend and crush a bit, but not straight up collapse. Tipping over less than 10mph should not be a life ending experience.

Your are right 10mph no biggie. Can you guarantee that is all it will ever be? Sure what you have in mind will handle 10mph flop. Will it handle 30mph or 50mph?

I rolled an 80-series at 35mph 2 3/4xs. The Cruiser saved our lives but had it gone over that last 1/4 or more, walking away may not have been possible. It was crushed like a can.

You can not predict what may happen. Deer, elk, black ice, drunk driver, who knows? Get it done right so you will live through any of those.

Triangulation man, do that and it will be strong as can be, that is of course if you don’t build it out of pvc or exhaust pipe! ;)

Cheers

Totally agree with what @SNLC is saying. On my son's 80 UTE, we did a cage behind the seat like this. 120 wall DOM, not really made for crazy offroading, but more to replace all the structure we tore out of the 80 when we chopped it in half.

1580924225820.png
1580924239942.png

Totally agree with what @SNLC is saying. On my son's 80 UTE, we did a cage behind the seat like this. 120 wall DOM, not really made for crazy offroading, but more to replace all the structure we tore out of the 80 when we chopped it in half.

View attachment 2202290View attachment 2202291

Without it braced front to rear though, how strong is it? Or is it braced front to rear, I can’t tell.

Cheers

Anything you want to keep from crushing you must be supported front to rear as well as side to side, in triangulated fashion.

Also, where the roll bar attaches must be supported or it will just push it through the floor, or act like a punch and punch cut it's way through in the event of a rollover.

Use ROUND plates to bolt to the floor. They do not have points to start like a can opener.

Use a plate on top and bottom of the floor pan, make them different diameters, by about 1/2" diameter. This will prevent bolt rip-through. The difference diameters will reduce the possibility of punch-through.

It is always best to support directly to a frame mounted body point if possible. Otherwise, make a separate piece to attach to the frame below the body. The body will crush and collapse. The frame will be the structural point to attach to.

Yes, there's a whole science dedicated to doing this, however, there also becomes a point where it ends up being unusable due to the interference.

Don't forget to keep the tubes well away from the head of the occupants, or the impact of the noggin on the tube inside can have serious detrimental effects. If you have a ROPS, you MUST have and use restraint systems or they will act as a guillotine. Can still do that with limbs unless you have a net.

Don’t count on a steel roof saving you more. It’s all about physics and where and how forces are exerted. Triangulation is the best as been stated.

here is my FJ55 I “rolled” years ago. Under 30mph and landed in snow. More like a flip to the top corner which put some major forces on it. I took my seatbelt off 1 minute before I rolled. If I would have had it on, I Probabaly wouldnt be here. Dove/flung down into the foot area. That said I always wear my seatbelt.

D7DB17C2-F83E-4F55-BE49-D192BB24307E.jpeg

4A5D8B6A-7B09-49CC-BD88-E44B4358FB3D.jpeg

The factory add on “cage” was basically just for seatbelts is my understanding and possibly some regulations, however it is better than not having one.

@jfrench has a nice cage in his bj74 that would be great to follow what he did as I believe he didn’t have a factory cage either. I’m contemplating doing what he did as well for more protection.

Thank you all for your advice. I'm seeing 2" .120 as the minimum for a properly designed and triangular braced low speed roll bar or medium speed cage. Without standard triangle tube bracing I would compensate to some extend with .25 wall and .25 plate gussets as long as not too obtrusive with perhaps a large backing plate under the body where it is less obtrusive. Perhaps bolt the backing plate through the sheet metal braces, or weld another body mount and a bolt the backer to the frame with rubber between.
bilt4me- You said "If you have a ROPS, you MUST have and use restraint systems or they will act as a guillotine. " What is a ROPS? I have no Idea what you're talking about here.?

Don’t count on a steel roof saving you more. It’s all about physics and where and how forces are exerted. Triangulation is the best as been stated.

here is my FJ55 I “rolled” years ago. Under 30mph and landed in snow. More like a flip to the top corner which put some major forces on it. I took my seatbelt off 1 minute before I rolled. If I would have had it on, I Probabaly wouldnt be here. Dove/flung down into the foot area. That said I always wear my seatbelt.

View attachment 2202353
View attachment 2202354

The factory add on “cage” was basically just for seatbelts is my understanding and possibly some regulations, however it is better than not having one.

@jfrench has a nice cage in his bj74 that would be great to follow what he did as I believe he didn’t have a factory cage either. I’m contemplating doing what he did as well for more protection.
[/QUO
Lucky you. I don't have any factory add on bar or cage. Most fiberglass roof 70's I've seen have a factory roll bar. Mine does not.
I don't intend to "protect from the unpredictable", but to protect myself from mishap when negotiating a obstacle that might make me tip over if I make a mistake. I can always choose not to negotiate an obstacle or drive bad roads in bad or dangerous conditions.

A nicely built cage that still works with hard top.
ROPS = roll over protection system.

View attachment 2202383View attachment 2202384
Nice rig! that's alot of steel around a highly customized rig. I'd like to do the external cage type system 3 loops of 2" from the frame railes and around the body with a rock slider in between with perhaps 1.5" between over the wheel wells. It's just that it's overkill for what I want to do and I want something soon as opposed to doing without until I'm ready for the full deal.

Without it braced front to rear though, how strong is it? Or is it braced front to rear, I can’t tell.

Cheers

Yes, it is attached to DOM going down the roof and attaches to the A pillar and a cross bar across the top of the windshield.

This pic shows the welded sections before they pushed forward in the pockets to meet up with the A pillar.

1580932326197.png
1580932361201.png

For your reference, post #22:

And thanks, @FJBen

As others have more or less said, I think installing nothing is better than installing a hoop with no forward or rear angular bracing. You don't necessarily need a full cage but you should at least replicate something similar to an FJ40 roll bar with 4 points of contact to the tub/frame. Otherwise I think it's just a heavy guillotine awaiting a victim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom