What transmission fluid to use now on 2000 land cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just finished the oil change and some other maintenance on the LC. I want to do the transmission fluid next and do a drain and fill every few thousand miles until its mostly new fluid. But I am getting confused on the forum on which fluid to use, the owner manuals says to use DEX II or III but it is no longer available. Looks like some people are using the Toyota type-IV, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or Dex/Merc but I am not sure if they are doing a full exchange or doing the drain and fill with it. I guess I get concerned with mixing different fluids in the transmission. Anyway, just want to see what is the correct fluid to use with the drain and fill method before I jump in to doing it. I also would like to do the power steering fluid and want to make sure it is compatible as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Just finished the oil change and some other maintenance on the LC. I want to do the transmission fluid next and do a drain and fill every few thousand miles until its mostly new fluid. But I am getting confused on the forum on which fluid to use, the owner manuals says to use DEX II or III but it is no longer available. Looks like some people are using the Toyota type-IV, Mobil 1 synthetic ATF or Dex/Merc but I am not sure if they are doing a full exchange or doing the drain and fill with it. I guess I get concerned with mixing different fluids in the transmission. Anyway, just want to see what is the correct fluid to use with the drain and fill method before I jump in to doing it. I also would like to do the power steering fluid and want to make sure it is compatible as well. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

See below

MAXLIFE.jpg

Dexron III is still widely available but you have to read the fine print - e.g. "for vehicles formerly using Dexron III". GM just took away the right to use Dexron III in the product name.

Thanks,

Bob

^^^^^

The most current Dex product, DEX VI (and all versions since DEX II)... are fully 'Backwards Compatible'. No worry.

Appreciate the help. So doing the drain and fill method with a full synthetic mixed with the original fluid is fine to use?

Appreciate the help. So doing the drain and fill method with a full synthetic mixed with the original fluid is fine to use?

Yes. You CAN do it that way...but it is the least expedient and most expensive way to go about it. IF your primary objective is to just have 'clean/new' ATF fluid then any properly rated fluid...introduced by doing the 'drain and fill' will suffice. However, if your aim is to add an improved fluid (synthetic) for sake of better protection/longevity....I'd recommend doing a complete fluid 'exchange' (NOT FLUSH) using the transmission's own pump...or have a service center do it. Then you're just done with it.

Synthetic fluids are anywhere from moderately more expensive to massively more expensive.....so to me it doesn't make sense to 'mix' your way there doing drain and fills. There will be so much old fluid still in the torque converter, valve body, and inner workings of the transmission that it would take several D/F's to end up with mostly synthetic (if that is your goal). You just wouldn't realize the benefits soon enough to make that practical IMO.

Why dont you buy oem toyota AT fliud. the fluid type is embossed on the drain bolt. My 2000 takes 3.5 to 4 quarts on a drain and fill service.

Why dont you buy oem toyota AT fliud. the fluid type is embossed on the drain bolt. My 2000 takes 3.5 to 4 quarts on a drain and fill service.

I'm always intrigued as to why the disparity in volume. My 100 series takes 6 qts. to refill after a drain and fill. My 80 series (same A343F trans) will take a full 2 gallons. Others report around 3-4 qts. Strange...but it does seem to vary one vehicle to the next.

It's interesting that the intervals at which people change fluid on these seems to vary widely also.

Last edited:
"Dex/Merc" is the current exact replacement for Dexron III. Valvoline and Castrol have this widely available. It's what I've been flushing my power sreering with.

20190819_082813.jpg
20190819_082837.jpg

A lot of us here with 98-02 100's use Mobil 1 ATF in our transmissions and power steering.

Just to confirm, is this the Mobil 1 ATF? I ask because the label doesn’t mention Toyota Type T IV (for my 2002 LX)

63BC3C87-D669-449B-A127-CCD37AD87283.png

...the label doesn’t mention Toyota Type T IV (for my 2002 LX)
Dexron III compatible atf is not for the 5-speed boxes that need Type IV or WS.
For the 4-speed boxes, any synthetic dexron III compatible fluid will be good. The shifts are noticeable smoother with synt than with mineral atf.

There is a very good write-up on how to completely swap tranny fluid on the 4sped boxes in one of the threads by @2001LC . Just follow the directions and it is quite simple.

For the 4-speed boxes, any synthetic dexron III compatible fluid will be good. The shifts are noticeable smoother with synt than with mineral atf.
Perfect. Thanks

There is a very good write-up on how to completely swap tranny fluid on the 4sped boxes in one of the threads by @2001LC . Just follow the directions and it is quite simple.
Yes, I believe I know the “exchange” method you are referring to. Since I don’t know what the PO used on my 135k mile LX, I plan to do a full exchange with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF

I ordered this...
6079D951-DC43-4544-82DA-5726C74FA6A7.jpeg

I received this...
880B3031-C6AE-470B-A4E1-53515832BF37.jpeg

I was basing my purchase on Walmarts image but it appears to be incorrect. I assume I should return and get the non-LV one? LV = low viscosity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom