What to look over before a 900 mile trip? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1990 fj62, all the belts are new, recent tranny flush, new tires, new exhaust, coolant is fine, oil just changed, what else?

PS fluid, age of battery(if over 6 year get a new one), wheel bearings(jack the wheel & check for play), rear diff oil level. And map/GPS.

a good piece of advice i see fairly often. Get some phone #s of Mud members located along the path you are planning to take just in case.

spare?

Did you check your spare to see if the sidewalls are not split?and how bout your tool kit in case of a flat.carry a can of fix a flat just in case you need it and bring flares with you and a bright flashlight.

Check the map and go.

900 miles will go quick....bring some tools along and check that you have air in the spare.

After many '900' mile trips over 400,000 miles here is the list:

Radiator hoses (1)
Heater hoses (3)
Air Pumps (4)
Water Pumps (2)
Fuel Pumps (1)
Alternators (2) (one regulator and one diodes)

Check for hose cracks, noises from air pump, water pump drips, etc.

Dan

Spare's got plenty of tread, I don't have the rod to let down the spare tho. Where could I get one of those? Everything looks ok, i've got greasable shackles coming this week hopefully that helps for comfort?

well i dont have the rod so i can't let it down ha. where do i get one of those?
Junk yard one from an 80 or 100 series should work fine. They haven't changed the design much, no need to.

Unless this is an offroad trip, I wouldn't think you would need to bring anything except the things that you most likely keep in the rig anyhow (some basic tools, duct tape, etc.). Oh, and as mentioned above, you definitely need a gas card with a high limit.

If the truck is in decent shape, 900 miles is nothing. Make sure the basics, as covered above, are addressed. Also, it can depend a bit on where you are traveling this fall. 900 miles north from MN is a bit different than 900 miles south.
Cheers
J

Thanks for the advice, my rig looks to be in good shape, just needs some brake milling and top off a couple fluids

Tire rod

You may also want to check a mid-90's Nissan pickup. I couldn't find mine, and a buddy pulled her's out of her truck, and it fit perfectly.

Then I found mine. D'oh!

Glenn in Tucson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom