what to do with tweety... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've now inherited tweety from moms finally. I drove it back when i was 16 (first ever actually). Its got quite the history here, but has been unoperational for 2-3 years now for some small problem and now the ocean salt has manifested.....

this is tweety
tweety.jpg

3b under the hood, with hydraulic steering mod, and 5 speed steering mod, even double shocks.

I want this thing back in action again...... on these horrible dirt roads they hold up really well, and top speed is not an issue, but overly hard suspension is.....

my dads land rover discovery 95 is the best suspension ive ever felt around here, and its even sfa but with coils. The motor and everything is, pretty rubish tbh it blew the head and was expensive replacement.

What I would really like to do is transport the drivetrain into another truck because the chassis is pretty rusty. Id really like to mod it with coils. What would be a good swap? Should i look for another land cruiser chassis from a different model? could i put it all in a jeep or something?

Amen. One does not bastardize a land cruiser With heep parts! (But Chevy, and virtually any other company, is acceptable :p)

There's plenty of half rotted land cruisers around to steal good parts from. If you're going to go through the effort of taking it off the frame and doing major repairs, might as well do it correctly...

original land cruiser body and frame would be great but then id be setting my self up to have the same problem, those cruiser rust really bad! could it be swaped onto a frame of a more modern land cruiser?

If you prep the frame/tub properly the rust issues can be avoided. Newer Land Cruisers are full size, 4-door SUVs. Again - "stretching" an FJ40 and making it a 4-door has been done, but your most cost effective solution, in my opinion, is still to find an original FJ40 frame, sand blast (maybe even acid dip it) and properly coat and prep it.

There are a ton of options to frame prep. Search this site and you'll find a ton of possibilities. Everyone has their own opinion on what type of coating last longest.

All frames will rust - a friend of mine has a 2001 Heep TJ that is starting to rust out as well - it's all about making sure the frame coating holds up.

I'm going to follow up that post and say anything is a matter of time, money, skill, and imagination - if you have enough of each you can pretty much do whatever you want to these trucks.

well, in that case maybe i should think about saving the existing frame. its pretty bad, but after looking at it all morning it kinda seems like it still has strength.

This is the worst part of the frame:
framerust.jpg

the important part:
DSC00281.jpg

heavy surface rust, but it doesnt really go all the way through. The frame before this part doesnt seem so bad.....

Check where the front of the rear spring attaches. They have a tendency to rust really bad from the inside of the frame in that area.

the piece thats welded on to attach to the springs has alot of surface rust but the chassis itself looks ok

Please let me know if you consider selling those front turn signals :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom