What throwout bearing for downey sbc bell housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired an old downey aluminum sbc bellhousing adapter for an h42 and was looking for some information about what throwout bearing to use. I tried to reuse my old toyota bearing but it doesnt seem quite right. Thanks in advance!

I've done a few sbc conversions on a 40 and a 60 over the years. The last one was nearly 10 years ago so its a little fuzzy.

While only one conversion used an actual sbc the others were adapted to sbc so I could attach a diesel that was adapted to fit like a sbc.

The clutch kit I used on the h42 and 3 speed lc was out of a 1968 checker marathon with inline 6. I used orileys for them. This won't last for a higher performance engine but did fine with a turbo diesel.

This is a low profile clutch kit that won't grind gears like you find in Chevy trucks/muscle cars. Fits the 153 tooth flywheel pre 86. Your land cruiser clutch throw is very short compared to most Chevy clutch throws so it will bind and not want to shift into or out of gear. A low profile clutch is imperative

These checker (Chevy I6) kits share the 10 spline clutch hub that will fit over your lc input shaft. Not an exact fit but close enough.

In both swaps im 90% sure i used the stock lc clutch fork, pivot and tob but when you buy the clutch kit she comes with the Chevy tob and the pilot bearing you'll use.

Due to the expense of lc parts and slow ship times I eventually ditched the stock fj40 master and slave for a McCloud racing (similar to wildwood) and a push/pull type slave. My fj40 was a daily driver for many years.

I'm pretty sure AA is either using the same kit or kits derived from Downey. A call to their tech may help get you the info you need. They were able to help me with my old downy 360 bell sbc adapter I got many years ago. I never ponied up for their $$$ clutch kits but have used them for many other adapter parts, always great customer service/tech help.

If you're assembled and she's not wanting to disengage im 99% sure AA will tell you that you need their special low profile chevota clutch kit.

I just acquired an old downey aluminum sbc bellhousing adapter for an h42 and was looking for some information about what throwout bearing to use. I tried to reuse my old toyota bearing but it doesnt seem quite right. Thanks in advance!
generally you match the throwout assembly to the clutch. The early three speeds had a three finger clutch with a flat faced bearing. The H-42 used a diaphragm clutch
with a conical bearing face. The two throw out arms were specific to the bearing

When we machined stock new cast iron Chevy bellhousings into 4 speed adapters, we also included a new "re-machined" front bearing retainer for the transmission, it was machined to clear part of the Chevy bellhousing, and to use the smaller I.D. Chevy throw out bearing. Once we manufactured our own 360 degree aluminum 4 speed adapter bellhousings, we designed them to use a stock Landcruiser throw out bearing on stock hub, stock shift fork, and stock shift fork pivot ball.

Gee Whiz information: It was a lot easier to buy 100 new Landcruiser bearing retainers than it was to buy 100 Chevy bellhousings, the bellhousings would drift in to Downey 5-10 at a time, and we didn't set up machinery until all had arrived over 1 to 2 month span.

When we machined stock new cast iron Chevy bellhousings into 4 speed adapters, we also included a new "re-machined" front bearing retainer for the transmission, it was machined to clear part of the Chevy bellhousing, and to use the smaller I.D. Chevy throw out bearing. Once we manufactured our own 360 degree aluminum 4 speed adapter bellhousings, we designed them to use a stock Landcruiser throw out bearing on stock hub, stock shift fork, and stock shift fork pivot ball.

Gee Whiz information: It was a lot easier to buy 100 new Landcruiser bearing retainers than it was to buy 100 Chevy bellhousings, the bellhousings would drift in to Downey 5-10 at a time, and we didn't set up machinery until all had arrived over 1 to 2 month span.
Do you know which clutch fork and slave you worked around? There are two distinct fork/slave setups for the 60 series and then the adjustable slave/fork on the 40 series.

@southern jeeper.. . With Jim's info in mind it seems you'll use stock land cruiser pieces. When you gather these, make sure you match the fork and slave to the same
years

We never encountered difficulties with different 4 speed bearings/forks/slaves ??? Evidently all matching sets worked perfectly ???

Thanks everybody! So I goofed and didn't look at my old clutch on my 1f, I assumed they put in the new style diaphragm clutch when it was converted to a 4 speed... Nope they just reused the old three finger style clutch so that explains why the throw-out bearing wasn't right. Time to find a 4 speed hub and throwout bearing!

And if you need a new "Chevota Specific" clutch, talk to me

Thanks everybody! So I goofed and didn't look at my old clutch on my 1f, I assumed they put in the new style diaphragm clutch when it was converted to a 4 speed... Nope they just reused the old three finger style clutch so that explains why the throw-out bearing wasn't right. Time to find a 4 speed hub and throwout bearing!
It's usually the little things that make it work , at least work well

And if you need a new "Chevota Specific" clutch, talk to me
Thanks but I’ve got the clutch covered but I do have one more question about the bell housing.
1092E4DB-F17B-4BE4-AB2F-DCF9E16CAA19.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out some sort of transmission mount or cross member and I was wondering if these two holes, above and below the opening for the fork, would be suitable to bolt some mounts to.

We cast all of those mounting bosses into the bellhousing in case we ever made a motor mount to use them, but ultimately decided to keep our rear transfer-case motor mount since it had such a legitimate need (prevented side-thruster transfer-case from trying to spin around in a circle behind the transmission).

@southern jeeper

On the Chevota conversions I worked on, I used the transmission as the xmember point. On the 40 series that didn’t require a trans overhaul, I fabbed mounts that incorporated the 12mm bolts at the back of the transmission where the one inch extension housing is attached.

On the transmissions that needed an overhaul, I rebuilt them inside FJ60 housings so I could use the factory xmember holes.

Hth

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom