This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
Hey I am sure this is already on the forums somewhere but - I am starting to buy parts for my eventual sbc swap back to a 1f or 2f engine. I want to keep the 3speed transmission so I can swap it back to column shift. I found a 2f bell housing with the clutch fork for a good price.

My question is will the 2f bell housing fit the 3speed transmission? and also would the 2f bell housing fit the 1f engine if I decide to go that way? Any issues with using the 2f clutch, flywheel and pressure plate with the 3 speed transmission?

I am hoping to start tearing into the motor swap project this winter.

Last edited:
Hey I am sure this is already on the forums somewhere but - I am starting to buy parts for my eventual sbc swap back to a 1f or 2f engine. I want to keep the 3speed transmission so I can swap it back to column shift. I found a 2f bell housing with the clutch fork for a good price.

My question is will the 2f bell housing fit the 3speed transmission? and also would the 2f bell housing fit the 1f engine if I decide to go that way? Any issues with using the 2f clutch, flywheel and pressure plate with the 3 speed transmission?

I am hoping to start tearing into the motor swap project this winter.
2f bell will not fit with 3speed transmission. But will fit on 1f engine.

Quick easy way to tell what bellhousing works if the transmission opening is round it's a three speed. If looks like a figure 8 it's for a four speed but will work with a H55F five speed. If have a bellhousing E to mid 1963 it's a different bellhousing.

Your current three speed bellhousing will work with a 2F. That including everything thing else as long as you use the F engine flywheel.
Unfortunately it has a bell housing out of a 58 corvette at least what I was told, its 100% some sort of chevy bell housing with a thin adapter plate for the 3 speed. I actually need to check and see if the fly wheel is toyota or not. Anyway to do that through the inspection cover ? I need a bell housing so probably the best bet would be to get a bell housing for the 3 speed transmission. Not a 2f bell housing?
Quick easy way to tell what bellhousing works if the transmission opening is round it's a three speed. If looks like a figure 8 it's for a four speed but will work with a H55F five speed. If have a bellhousing E to mid 1963 it's a different bellhousing.
Thats a nice way to check thanks! I have seen one with the round hole for sale.

If you have the Chevy bellhousing with 3-spd adapter plate then the flywheel is going to be Chevy as well, 168-tooth.

If you have the Chevy bellhousing with 3-spd adapter plate then the flywheel is going to be Chevy as well, 168-tooth.
That was what I thought it would be too. Thanks! Adding flywheel to the list with the clutch parts and engine! at least I found the rear frame side motor mount and the rear bell housing mounts today!

Picture shows everything :)

IMG_0689.jpg

]
IMG_0690.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg

Three speed bellhousings should be easy to find. More common three speeds being replaced with a four speed than vise versa. Probably have an extra one but should search locally first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom