What the hell is a birfield? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I may or may not have a worn birfield... funny click on right turn in front end...This raises the question of "What the hell is a birfiel?" Is it like a dragging johnson rod? How bad is it (in dollars / time / safety) ifthat is what it is?

This is the name of the CV style joint that is used on the front axle shaft, enclosed inside the knuckle.

Verify that your wheel bearings are not loose up front, or that your spring bushings are not shot, creating a noise when you turn.

Do you have selectable locking hubs? Are they locked in?
Try unlocking them, and driving and see if you still have the noise. Are you running around in 4wd?

help.....

It has a proper name:

F-ing birfields...

just check my avatar :D

[quote author=Klunky Chris link=board=1;threadid=7251;start=msg60414#msg60414 date=1068250791]
just check my avatar :D
[/quote]

Was going to compliment you on that scrap steel picture...

Junk joint, junk joint.

Is it like a dragging johnson rod?

Man I hate it when that happens!

[quote author=mattcobb link=board=1;threadid=7251;start=msg60381#msg60381 date=1068247123]
This raises the question of "What the hell is a birfiel?" [/quote]

It is the cruiser gods message to us to be humble. We would be just insuffarable without them.

What the hell is a birfield?.....A very large and hard to get to steel fuse! :mad: It lets go so your whole axle doesn't have to :-\.....Or so it seems. I wouldn't panic on the birf yet, cause if it is bad,then you'd have other symptoms like a lack of good steering, bad grinding sounds, etc. Best follow others advice and check the basics 1st. Wheel bearings are a great place to start if the suspension checks out o.k. YMMV :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom