What storage box/bags do you use on your flat roof racks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to get a Gamiviti flat roof rack. Some things I will just strap to the rack. But other things will need to be boxed or bagged up. What do you guys use and how do you set up your racks for storage? What boxes do you use and are the water tight? Do you use large water proof duffel bags? Specifics of brands and sizes would be great and as always pictures are welcome.

I have one large water resistant bag (actual water proof is either a misnomer or really expensive). Otherwise I use Pelican because it's extremely sturdy, UV resistant, waterproof and lockable. It takes a lot of effort to break into a Pelican case. Since I've had three trucks stolen (only the 60 I got back) and my LX broken into twice, security is at the too of my list. YMMV.

I use a Yakima Skybox 19. Surprised it has not broken or cracked with all the tree limbs I have hit with it. My camping stuff lives up there almost year round, and never got wet. Works for me.

I used one of these on a trip from TX to CA http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WR25DY/?tag=ihco-20 Drove through a couple of moderate rainstorms and everything stayed dry. Also had a 15 gal Action Packer, which did not get any water inside. The Action Packer is lockable, although you need two locks. Unfortunately, rubbermaid has discontinued that size.

I have one large water resistant bag (actual water proof is either a misnomer or really expensive). Otherwise I use Pelican because it's extremely sturdy, UV resistant, waterproof and lockable. It takes a lot of effort to break into a Pelican case. Since I've had three trucks stolen (only the 60 I got back) and my LX broken into twice, security is at the too of my list. YMMV.
You left out the big reason..............
FREE!:flipoff2:

I use six 8g Action Packers for most of my junk. I like the small size as it limits how much you can put in each, making them easy to get on and off the rack.

14549565119_eb0b9403cb_h.jpg

Not that is helps you in anyway but here's what i did. Got a box on CL and cut the roof rack and boom have 3 drawers for what ever i may need to put in there:):)

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8055.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG

IMG_8077.JPG

I use six 8g Action Packers for most of my junk. I like the small size as it limits how much you can put in each, making them easy to get on and off the rack.

14549565119_eb0b9403cb_h.jpg
Do you get dust in the boxes? I gave up on my action packers years ago due to dust getting inside in the desert regions.

Thinking about this for a while now......would probably do something similar to a large metal box and somehow add padding inside to reduce rattle and paint to add some sort of weather proofing.

loving your rig @jcardona1

Milk crates:hillbilly:

Do you get dust in the boxes? I gave up on my action packers years ago due to dust getting inside in the desert regions.

It's a pretty new setup since I just built the rack. So I haven't used them too long. I'm sure dust will become an issue eventually. I wonder if I could put some plastic sheeting over the top then snap the lid shut. Seems like that would seal the dust out.

It's a pretty new setup since I just built the rack. So I haven't used them too long. I'm sure dust will become an issue eventually. I wonder if I could put some plastic sheeting over the top then snap the lid shut. Seems like that would seal the dust out.
I still have mine and have thought about trying generic door trim to try to seal it up. It's just way down on the list at the moment.

Foam weatherstripping attached to the lid should seal them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom