What size/type jack stands do you use on your 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the axles coming to do the locker retrofit on my 96 and I have two questions (for now..lol).

The first is what size and type jackstands are adequate for the fzj80? I read a few threads where some used 3 1/2 ton and some said 12.

The second is how much will the axle housing only will weigh? I'm having it sent to a local shop with a forklift that will get it into my truck but I'm on my own from there. The whole pallet weighs 750+ with the complete axle assemblies and the driveshafts. I'd like to know how manageable the housings will be if I empty them out....even a rough estimate would do.

Thanks

for jackstands id use 10 or 12 ton, its not so much a weight issue but more of a heighth. the 6 ton we use and can find anywhere are just a bit short w/ lift and 35's.

oooh dont really know but im gonna say w/ thirds and axles out and rotor/hubs off around 300#. ive wrestled a 60 housing outta my way but it was nice havin a hand putting it back.

6 ton stands are about right, but bigger is good too.

If you are talking the empty housing, meaning no diff and no brake stuff, they are pretty light. Maybe 60-70 pounds. I've got one stripped down and handy if you just gotta have a weight for it, but I can easily lift it and carry it around. Thus it can't be that heavy.

12 tons for me
read earlier threads about stands and possible accidents...

I use 6 ton stands under my axles and 12 ton stands under my frame. 4" lift and 35" tires means you need a stand with a tall reach and a large base to support the truck. I did it once with my 6 ton stands and never again.

Originally posted by derrickbwg
I've got the axles coming to do the locker retrofit on my 96 and I have two questions (for now..lol).

I use the 6 ton jack stand from Northern Tools. Would you mine if I ask you where did you get your locking axles from?

BIG ones

I use concrete blocks. I spread marbles on the floor first to make moving the truck easier. If I wear hard-soled shoes I can skate around the shop really fast.

-Spike

I use concrete blocks. I spread marbles on the floor first to make moving the truck easier. If I wear hard-soled shoes I can skate around the shop really fast.

-Spike

marbles are for boys... real men use ball bearings... :D

two sets of 3 tons, one set of 12 ton
It about the height, not the weight rating.
Dave

Two sets of 3 ton from Sears, one set of 6 ton from HF.

The 3 ton jack, two stands and creeper set from Sears has done me well. The creeper is kind of junky but has held up better than I thought it would.

Just a quick note: Remember that these vehicles will roll in park with any wheel off the ground and the parking brakes suck. Chocks are a must have too.

IMHO YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom