"What should I mod first?" — let's discuss (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tbisaacs

It's basically a Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
With 200-series (particularly LX570) prices coming down, there have been a huge influx of new owners here (👋 WELCOME!) trying to figure out where to start.

While I love a beastly build just as much as much as the rest of you - I also admire some of the more restrained, carefully built rigs that focus maximizing capability against weight, cost, and utilization.

I've had this doodle in my head for while (updated 15-Jul):

Untitled - New frame.jpg

I'll caveat this with:
  • There is no wrong answer
  • It's an oversimplification obviously
  • Some sequences are subjective—you could argue that basic armor lessens need for bigger tires, or the inverse
  • Factors like convenience, range, frequency of use, and comfort are important considerations that aren't represented here

My assertion: With such an already capable truck, the basics get you 80% "there" depending on your desired use. Beyond that, there is a pretty long tail in terms of additional capability per dollar spent.

I'd love to hear your perspectives!

Last edited:
My intended use was for a “jack of all trades” Off road capable.... but good for going on long trips.... Alaska for example. Rig is never gonna go to Moab. More worried about snow and mud.

1. Remove rear seats and install arb drawers..... wanted to lock up valuables.
2. Redarc brake controller.... was gonna trailer to Alaska this summer.
3. Bp-51 and rear bumper.
4. 40 gal tank.

So far so good. Truck rides and handles much better than stock.

this fall I will add a front bumper and winch. I only need/use a winch about once a year, but when I have needed a winch, I have .... really....needed one. Have had one very significant deer strike....not in LC... almost $12,000 in repair. Want to protect the cruiser as best I ca.

Perhaps larger tires when the set already on it needs replaced.

2017 LC

This is a great thought exercise. Laid out in a easy to understand visualization of what's necessary to tackle different technical terrain.

I hope you don't mind and I've taken a cut at your graphic from my perspective. I give a lot more stock to the factory vehicle tackling more difficult terrain. Out of the box, it'll handle even medium trails with no upgrades and a descent driver. Once you get into larger tires, even hard trails are viable. Much of which is due to the stock lift capability already built in. I like the sentiment of sliders, skids, bumpers and armor, but frankly with the amount of lift and clearance and control that can be had with the vehicle with big tires, and AHC sensor lift, I don't really plan on contact sports in the first place.

I added in a compressor as an early mod.

1594758748511.png

For basic wheeling...in order of benefit compared to stock:

-FREE Remove side steps (avoids rocker panel damage multiplier)
-FREE Remove 3rd row for more gear space

Not free, but basic:
1. -ATs: 32”ish by 10.5-11” wide require no mods (285/70/17 perfect if you find a set of Rock Warrior wheels).
2. Basic suspension upgrade struts/springs +UCAs $1.5k up to -4k+)
3 .-Rock sliders (Slee, Budbuilt, MetalTech)

Beyond that.....it’s all over the map.

Last edited:
Recovery points.

@tbisaacs I like it! I think graphics like this are better left simple and straightforward like you've done, but I might note the list is slightly different for an LX vs LC. The suspension in an LX is already as good as or better than most expensive aftermarket lifts, but the bumpers particularly on a 16+ LX are going to be a challenge off road. Of course items you put inside the truck are also a big consideration like the air compressor @TeCKis300 mentioned as well as tire deflators, so maybe a similar chart showing what you should pack based on where you're going would be a valuable exercise as well? I just created a "packing list" video with most of the basics and tried to outline in a similar fashion with buckets of must have, good to have, nice to have based on what people are doing. Of course these things can get way out of hand when one person swears you need a pull pall winch anchor to go to Costco whereas one guy said he did the Rubicon in a stock Rav4 with bailing wire and duct tape, but these graphical representations are most helpful when they're "geared" towards the masses.

This is a great thought exercise. Laid out in a easy to understand visualization of what's necessary to tackle different technical terrain.

I hope you don't mind and I've taken a cut at your graphic from my perspective. I give a lot more stock to the factory vehicle tackling more difficult terrain. Out of the box, it'll handle even medium trails with no upgrades and a descent driver. Once you get into larger tires, even hard trails are viable. Much of which is due to the stock lift capability already built in. I like the sentiment of sliders, skids, bumpers and armor, but frankly with the amount of lift and clearance and control that can be had with the vehicle with big tires, and AHC sensor lift, I don't really plan on contact sports in the first place.

View attachment 2371946
Contact Sports, that's a good one.

Popular mods to consider adding to the above purty picture:
2nd Fuel Tank
Dorkel

My driving with skids and sliders vs without is less considered. It'll bounce off vs it'll get damaged makes a big difference on what I'm willing to try. Also definitely more go pedal use . . . not sure this is a good thing.

I'm also getting better gas mileage, which is weird.

Snorkel is a good one!

I took fuel tank off as the model was focused on technical capability. There is probably a second flavor of this that would include LRA, roof rack, ground tent, RTT, secondary power, OBA, trailer etc etc. There is a continuum of stuff you need depending on how far, how long, how often you go out.

I think about this a lot and I have to say the 200 forum has been interesting to observe compared to the 80 forum where I cut my teeth.

My thought when I see people building 200’s, or really upgrading anything beyond tires, is that they have the wrong vehicle. I think tents and awning and fridges are cool on any vehicle. Run what you brung. But sliders skids and lockers? Too many other far far more capable vehicles out there at a far better price point.

This is coming from a guy who’s last build was a van with sliders, skids, and lockers so what do I know....

Also, #ih8snorkels

Too many other far far more capable vehicles out there at a far better price point.
Prices are pretty low if you're not super picky :beer:. I paid about $3k more than a moderate condition 100 was going for (it's been a couple years, I haven't paid attention to prices recently), and everytime I see an 80 I think they're selling for even more, getting fashionable. I had to have the airbags for safety officer :princess: signoff, so I could only get a late model 100 or 200 . . .

So having sliders is wrong?

Prices are pretty low if you're not super picky :beer:. I paid about $3k more than a moderate condition 100 was going for (it's been a couple years, I haven't paid attention to prices recently), and everytime I see an 80 I think they're selling for even more, getting fashionable. I had to have the airbags for safety officer :princess: signoff, so I could only get a late model 100 or 200 . . .
Lack of safety equipment is what made my safety officer end the service life of my 70 and 80.

So having sliders is wrong?
No way. Protect that investment!

I’ve had friends with a Miata on 35’s and a Cayenne on 33’s. Both super cool builds. Dumped tons of money in them before moving to more capable platforms. Same thing I did before eventually getting an 80.

Lift over skids for sure, unless you have an LX. May need two graphs, one each for LC and LX.

I think about this a lot and I have to say the 200 forum has been interesting to observe compared to the 80 forum where I cut my teeth.

My thought when I see people building 200’s, or really upgrading anything beyond tires, is that they have the wrong vehicle. I think tents and awning and fridges are cool on any vehicle. Run what you brung. But sliders skids and lockers? Too many other far far more capable vehicles out there at a far better price point.

This is coming from a guy who’s last build was a van with sliders, skids, and lockers so what do I know....

Also, #ih8snorkels
As Grinchy stated, not much of a price difference between a 100 and 200, at least for me it was only 4k diff between the 2 when I purchased. Also why not have something that can get your there comfortably then handle most of the trails you throw at it and ride back home in comfort while the rest of the 40 - 80 guys think you've got the wrong rig :flipoff2:

View attachment 2371946
Re-gear/rear locker should be stacked on top of each other. Not sure front locker is a good idea with IFS in general. The only CVs I've seen bust (100 series) is on front locked vehicles.

I think you’ve got a good list for a truck whose primary purpose is off road exploration. Honestly most people should stop after decent tires unless they find they “need” more. I’ve taken rental minivans more places than the average Cruiser sees.

That said, sliders are always a good choice once you decide to leave the FS roads. It sucks to learn a little late that you needed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom