Another radiator crack/what should I replace thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, so yeah, looks like I've got the radiator crack, so I'm going go ahead and replace it, but I wanted to make sure this is the correct part number for the updated version of the radiator: Toyota 16400-50384, for a 2013 Land Cruiser.
I just hit 109,000 miles so from what I'm reading, I should do the following as well?
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp tensioner
Serp belt
Idler pulley
I'm seeing some people say I should replace the starter too, thoughts on that? And then should I go ahead and replace the plugs too, or would that not make a different to do while the radiator is out?

Hey guys, so yeah, looks like I've got the radiator crack, so I'm going go ahead and replace it, but I wanted to make sure this is the correct part number for the updated version of the radiator: Toyota 16400-50384, for a 2013 Land Cruiser.
I just hit 109,000 miles so from what I'm reading, I should do the following as well?
Thermostat
Water pump
Serp tensioner
Serp belt
Idler pulley
I'm seeing some people say I should replace the starter too, thoughts on that? And then should I go ahead and replace the plugs too, or would that not make a different to do while the radiator is out?

I won't comment on the starter since I haven't replaced mine yet...

However I replaced the radiator / pulley's / hoses on my 2013 LX just to have the alternator go out a few months later.
I do know that replacing the alternator while the hoses / radiator are out of the way would have really given me ALOT more room to get at the Alternator.

Alternator went out on mine around 150K miles.

Thanks...anyone else have an opinion? Plugs?

Your list looks good. I'd replace the radiator hoses at the same time as well since they're ~10 years old.

Plugs are easily accessible, there is no advantage to doing them at the same time as the radiator/waterpump, etc. I would advise that if they haven't been done to do them soon, as 100k miles is a good time to change them.

The starter isn't really any easier to get at with the radiator out either. At 109k I think you should have plenty of life left, and it would be too soon for a preemptive replacement in my mind.

Yes plus, though you are correct the radiator won't impact that job at all.

I'd hold off on starter unless you frequently get into places that you'd be in serious trouble if you can't start the rig.

Thanks guys. One last question...am I asking for trouble if I add some JB weld to the crack and wait another 900 miles until I hit 110,000, or is that stuff pretty secure? I know, I should probably go ahead and do it, but just curious on your thoughts.

Thanks guys. One last question...am I asking for trouble if I add some JB weld to the crack and wait another 900 miles until I hit 110,000, or is that stuff pretty secure? I know, I should probably go ahead and do it, but just curious on your thoughts.
If it’s actively leaking don’t expect much. But if you are catching the crack before it leaks add the goop and it’ll likely go well past 110k.

If you already have the crack I'll replace ASAP. Some did the glue, but you're just playing roulette. If you drive around town only you may get by, but otherwise I would replace. Waiting game is for people without the crack. I played the game for two years having all the parts in my garage ready to go if the crack showed up.
Eventually I replaced it when a faded line showed up.

And just to make sure, this is the updated version, right?
Toyota 16400-50384

Below is screenshot of one of the orders I placed when I was gearing up to do the job....

Order Contents:
P/N​
Quantity​
Price Each​
Description​
1657238131​
$ 26.34​
Radiator Coolant Hose
1657138080​
$ 19.98​
Radiator Coolant Hose
1220438010​
$ 6.48​
PCV Valve
166200S012​
$ 68.59​
Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner
1660338012​
$ 73.20​
Accessory Drive Belt Idler Pulley
1640050384​
$ 308.91​
Radiator

Also went ahead and replaced the fan bracket pulley part # 16380-0S010

Radiator hose T's were on the list at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom