What preventive maintenance at 170k? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some of you probably know that I recently got our family dream rig. This bone stock rig will be use for long drive, camping, fishing and among other things. FYI, no crazy off-road just slightly on the mud if any.
the rig has 170k mileage and I’m thinking sending it to Toyota dealer or some of you suggest Torfab to do a full preventive maintenance. The question is, is it necessary to change the head gasket at this point? According to car fax this rig has good long history of maintenance from Micheal Toyota dealer here in Bellevue. Any thoughts are appreciated.

AF1CECE9-E8EB-4380-80B9-F132BFBC2129.jpeg

CC823CB9-01CE-4E08-843B-B1BC444F49D3.jpeg

78C7471F-50B4-4CA8-A6CF-0275FF43531F.jpeg

97E6D6B6-0ADA-48A7-A6A5-60143F08B2CA.jpeg

Head gasket? Is the something wrong with the engine? Heck no don't change the head gasket.

The heater T's probably should be changed if original. But just drive it. Very typically there is very little that NEEDS to be done on a regular basis other than change the oil when its dirty.

Do you have the time/space/ability/desire to do your own wrenching?

what was the last thing done by the Toyota dealership?

many of us here do all new fluids right away when getting a new-to-you LC

oil, transmission, both diffs, t case, coolant

Only replace head gaskets when they fail.
Skip the dealer. You will pay to much and they are not going to have their best people do fluids and filters. It’s going to be the college kids in the quick lube area doing it, just like at the quick lube.

Every 5,000 miles-engine oil and filter, grease u-joints and drive shafts.
Every 50,000 miles change transmission fluid, differential, transfer case oil, fuel filter and power steering fluid.
Every 100,000 miles change spark plugs.
Every 24 months change the engine coolant and brake fluid.

Always assume nothing has been done to any used car you buy. Always.

With your mileage, I would change all fluids now. Then again at 200,000 miles, it’l be easier to keep track of starting fresh at 200k.

Head gasket? Is the something wrong with the engine? Heck no don't change the head gasket.

The heater T's probably should be changed if original. But just drive it. Very typically there is very little that NEEDS to be done on a regular basis other than change the oil when its dirty.

There’s nothing wrong with the engine but after fueling at Costco the VCS track, VCS OFF and Engine light up on gauges. I’m not sure what’s going on?

Only replace head gaskets when they fail.
Skip the dealer. You will pay to much and they are not going to have their best people do fluids and filters. It’s going to be the college kids in the quick lube area doing it, just like at the quick lube.

Every 5,000 miles-engine oil and filter, grease u-joints and drive shafts.
Every 50,000 miles change transmission fluid, differential, transfer case oil, fuel filter and power steering fluid.
Every 100,000 miles change spark plugs.
Every 24 months change the engine coolant and brake fluid.

Always assume nothing has been done to any used car you buy. Always.

With your mileage, I would change all fluids now. Then again at 200,000 miles, it’l be easier to keep track of starting fresh at 200k.
Can I do this myself? Do you have a link I can watch? Thank you so much

Rig may be overdue for fluids, filters, lube, and front wheel bearing service. Perhaps plugs too. Good place to start.

Rig may be overdue for fluids, filters, lube, and front wheel bearing service. Perhaps plugs too. Good place to start.
Front wheel bearing? Is that something like me can do? I always try everything myself as long as it’s quick because I’ll rent a shop for $45 an hour. 🙈

I'd part it out. :flipoff2:

There’s nothing wrong with the engine but after fueling at Costco the VCS track, VCS OFF and Engine light up on gauges. I’m not sure what’s going on?
Usually happens when gas cap is loose or if it’s gasket is failing.

what was the last thing done by the Toyota dealership?

many of us here do all new fluids right away when getting a new-to-you LC

oil, transmission, both diffs, t case, coolant
This the latest record I have. Water pump was replace around 88K mileage so I think I’ll have to do a timing belt and water pump replace soon.

5FA7B37F-523A-442C-82C9-628D5C0BDAF7.jpeg

Can I do this myself? Do you have a link I can watch? Thank you so much

I do not have a link, sorry.
Yes you can do it yourself. All you need is the correct amount of fluids and a hand pump.
I use Castrol Syntec gear oil, you will need 8qts.
Valvoline Maxlife ATF, again, 8qts.
3 gallons of premixed engine coolant, I use Prestone universal coolant.
For brake fluid I also use a full synthetic, whichever brand the have enough of, 2 qts.
Fuel filter I just buy off Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom