What PM to knock out on used 1HD-FT? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I'm about to take delivery of a 1995 HDJ81 with about 250km on the clock. I won the vehicle at auction in Japan. Unknown maintenance history, but seems like it runs well. I plan on knocking out a bunch of PM as soon as possible.

Timing belt
- Looking at previous timing belt how to's, is the camshaft oil seal required? I'm seeing it's NLA, is there a different part number or aftermarket to use?
Water pump
Coolant change
Oil/filter change
ACSD delete
- Is Back 40 the easiest route to go for the blanking plate?

Is there anything else I should take care of early? Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, I'm about to take delivery of a 1995 HDJ81 with about 250km on the clock. I won the vehicle at auction in Japan. Unknown maintenance history, but seems like it runs well. I plan on knocking out a bunch of PM as soon as possible.

Timing belt
- Looking at previous timing belt how to's, is the camshaft oil seal required? I'm seeing it's NLA, is there a different part number or aftermarket to use?
Water pump
Coolant change
Oil/filter change
ACSD delete

Camshaft oil seal required if doing water pump.

Timing belt
Water pump
Coolant change
Oil/filter change
ACSD delete

Your list looks good. I did most of that PM on my 97 HDJ81 with 250K as well. I also did:

- Replaced all coolant hoses, even the little ones around the turbo and ACSD. All were old and some were cracking.
- Replaced the heater valve. It crumbled when I took it apart, probably wouldn't have lasted much longer
- Replaced radiator
- Replaced all fuel lines around the fuel filter and IP. They were also cracking
- Replaced fuel filter
- Knuckle rebuild
- Front/rear diff and transfer case fluid change
- Greased driveshafts of course
- New batteries
- I also did ACSD delete from Back 40

Then there were a bunch of mods of course, 3" exhaust, intercooler, transmission cooler, rear heater delete, etc etc.
You can read about that stuff in my build thread:

Oxalic acid wash the cooling syatem.
Ideally pull the injection pump, replace the oil cooler cover with later version w/o the cooler line for acsd and pound a replacement freeze plug jn block for acsd

I have written up a report.

Of course, check the knuckles etc. as suggested above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom