What parts do you keep on hand for the ‘what if’s’?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just carry my tool bag that served me in the 80. There are probably some 80-specific tools I could pull out now. If we're talking about at home, I could practically build a working vehicle from all the junk I have laying around from various rigs past and present.

I'm new to wheeling in a 200 and not sure what spares I should bring for trail repairs. I assume a spare front CV, but I'm not sure what else I might expect to break. Tie rod ends? I dunno, you guys tell me.

I'm new to wheeling in a 200 and not sure what spares I should bring for trail repairs. I assume a spare front CV, but I'm not sure what else I might expect to break. Tie rod ends? I dunno, you guys tell me.
People don't seem to break CVs without a lift that allows extra suspension droop. TREs are pretty bomb proof.

There really isn't much that happens on these that will strand you.. I think I've read about starter being a problem (on-trail) once? There is a work around for that but it isn't easy and requires a special tool.

@cruiseroutfit @Taco2Cruiser @sleeoffroad @Markuson may have something to add.

Someone brought their LX through the rubicon but I think the AHC failed.. not sure what the specific cause was.

I'm working on the "long travel" AHC mods, so CV-endangering droop may be on the near horizon.

You are much more likely to be locked out of 4Lo by an evap code than any other failure. A bluetooth OBD adapter and app is arguably the most important thing to have on hand.

You are much more likely to be locked out of 4Lo by an evap code than any other failure. A bluetooth OBD adapter and app is arguably the most important thing to have on hand.

Man is this ever TRUE.
Bleeping annoying too…but at least evap codes clear with a OBD2.

The ones I sincerely hate are other sensor lockouts like wheel speed sensors locking you out of 4lo. If you lose one on SOME particular trails where you’re suddenly unable to go back into 4lo…you will have a serious problem. Come to think of this… Carrying a wheel speed sensor would be a decent idea. Small, light, and relatively easy to access.

People don't seem to break CVs without a lift that allows extra suspension droop. TREs are pretty bomb proof.

There really isn't much that happens on these that will strand you.. I think I've read about starter being a problem (on-trail) once? There is a work around for that but it isn't easy and requires a special tool.

@cruiseroutfit @Taco2Cruiser @sleeoffroad @Markuson may have something to add.

Someone brought their LX through the rubicon but I think the AHC failed.. not sure what the specific cause was.

Yep. I finally replaced my CVs, but NOT because of failure. They never failed—not even after very hard wheeling, 14 years old, and running VERY heavy including with the added strain of 35’s. I finally preventatively swapped them at a point where it was a parts-only opportunity where labor was 100% necessary anyway. So ya, 200 CVs are stout. And no diff drop ever.

The 200 CVs I know of that failed on a trail buddy’s 200…were non-OEM CVs.

Maybe Im just lucky or an outlier but I carry almost nothing - ever - even on a trip to central America. Some basic tools. Cable ties. Tire repair kit. Battery jump start kit. That’s it. At home i may have a bottle of 5w-30 oil and toyota coolant somewhere. That’s it. Why? Nothing ever breaks. I maintain my vehicle on a set schedule. I don’t need spare wipers laying around. I don’t need brake parts, or filters, or whatever until it is time. Now, I don’t rock crawl. I just drive some technical roads, dirt forest roads, long corrugated gravel, etc. so my needs may be different. But the reason Ive been driving Land Cruisers since 1987 is that I no longer wanted to carry half a ton of spares like I had to do when I used to take long trips in a Land Rover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom