what part goes here? -  '85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
I'm missing a part and i can't recall what it is. See the photo below -- it installs on the driver side and that screw you see holds it in place. Also i'm pretty sure the electrical connector you see is supposed to connect and possibly a hose as well but i don't see any hoses hanging aroung that aren't connected.

You can tell i just pulled the famous hair dryer -- that my next post ;)

in case it's hard to tell, i took the picture standing beside the driver's side front tire. The master cylinder is just above the picture.

311706_23_full.jpg

Hmmm... My '74 40 has the same plug in the same place with a mount on the inner fender apron near that one. I assumed on my 40 it was the windshield washer fluid bottle, cause the aftermarket one I bought from SOR looks like it will mount up in that spare mount on mine. So if you don't have a windshield wiper fluid bottle thats my guess. :dunno:

Nope - that's the white thing just in front of that. Good guess though.

Horn bracket for driver's side of duals?

I will run out and check for sure after lunch, but is it the connector for the A/C idle up vacuum solenoid?  There would also be a vacuum hose that goes to the motor on the carb.

Yes, on my '87 FJ60 that is the connector that goes to the vacuum solenoid, that conrols the vacuum to the idle up motor connected to carb.

Brandon

It looks like the bolt that hold in the VSV for the AC/switch, which increases RPM when you turn on your A/C to compensate your idle.

Thanks...i wish i knew what all this stuff did. There are a bunch of these vacuume oriented switches. What causes what ... does a vacuume close an electrical circuit or the other way around? Sorry for the really stupid question.

When it comes to the A/C solenoid, when the kicks in a signal is sent the the VSV (vacuum switching valve, this is what I called the A/C solenoid). The VSV opens to vacuum and activates the idle up vacuum motor, reving the engine up to 1100-1400 rpm.

Brandon

OK. So in this case electical triggers pneumatic. I ordered one of these today from cruiserparts.net -- once i get it, i'll have to figure out which 2 lines would connect to it. There aren't any just hanging unused right now.

I don't know about any vacuum motor that is activated. What happens on my FJ60 is that the A/C switch activates the VSV which opens allowing manifold vacuum through to one of the diaphragms you see on your carb. The diaphragm will open up the primary butterfly a tad to compensate for the HP draw of the A/C compressor. All of your VSVs (I think there are a total of 4) work the EXACT same way, the difference is in the input, which most of them get from the computer. As a matter of fact some are interchangeable, the only difference being that the mounting bracket is different. Important if you go new OEM, since the A/C VSV has been discontinued by Toyota.

Oh one last thing. The 1100-1400 rpm idle comment above is a total fallacy IMHOP. Your idle should be around 750 both before and after you put turn on your A/C, with a momentary dip as soon as you activate the switch. This is achieved with an adjustment screw on the throttle shaft. 1100-1400 rpm idle is WAY to high. Sometimes people set there idle high to compensate for other problems, I'm talking normal operating conditions of a healthy engine.

Thanks Roebon - that makes sense. Just curious then what are the other 3 used for, that is what triggers them?

One is for the EGR system, noted by it's connection to the EGR Vacuum modulator which is a black and brown saucer looking thing which mounts to the side of the aircleaner housing on the inlet. The other two are part of the Smog Pump circuit, and control functions of the ABV...that contraption mounted on the fender with hoses from the smog pump and exhaust pump attached to it. They get there input from the computer just like the one in the EGR system, but these get are operated by the thermocouple in the catalytic converter and the speed sensor respectively.

I don't know about any vacuum motor that is activated.  What happens on my FJ60 is that the A/C switch activates the VSV which opens allowing manifold vacuum through to one of the diaphragms you see on your carb.  

On my '87 FJ60 there was an actual vacuum "motor" that was connected to the throttle. Not sure what year this would have been added.

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom