What order should I begin restoration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just acquired an HJ61. It is in good condition considering it was manufactured while Reagan was in office (1987). There are several key areas I'd like to focus on to begin a general restoration. What is the most logical order to complete the following so that I am not going back and messing up other portions I've accomplished already? Mechanically, as usual, the 60 series is sound and solid, the body is just suffering from neglect and abuse.

So, TLDR, what's best first logistically and logically? Body rust, Underbody protection, interior rehab, or door rehab?

There is surface rust all along both side gutters, top and bottom seams of the gutters, and various small patches of surface rust in various places on the lower body in normal places. I've thoroughly gone through and found no scaling or serious rust; top, bottom, inside, chassis, etc. Small random pinpricks as well. I am ok with unpainted ugliness, just to be sure the rust is removed and sealed. I'm leaning towards this being serious step #1. Luckily it barely scoots into the garage (literally less than a cm clearance so if I use too much fuel and lighten the truck, I'm screwed), so further water damage wont be an issue for the time being.

The underbody and chassis aren't rusted at all, but I do want to sandblast and undercoat it anyway for the future.

I'm pulling the interior but using the original seats and carpets; they are in very good condition, just need small repairs and a good deep shampoo. Some carpet is starting to fray at the edges, so I will replace the 70s hangover shag brown if it starts to unravel. Of course am going to soundproof and modernize the underlay to keep from serious issues later, as well as dampen the road and diesel noise. I was going to replace the center console, as it is faded, ugly, and wobbly, but miracle of miracles, the rear heater blower actually works perfectly, so unless anyone knows how to put the factory blower in a Tuffy console, I'm going to rehab the original console.

All the door cards are shot, and doubtful they can be salvaged. I'm thinking Australian Door Cards are going to replace all panels inside. Boohoo on losing all that sweet chocolate brown shag on the doors. Also, the regulators are mostly beat. The driver window is absolutely first because it lets water in, but the rest can wait. All weatherstrips need replacing because of sag and poor sealing, but none are so bad that water leaks in.

So, TLDR, what's best first logistically and logically? Body rust, Underbody, interior rehab, or door rehab?

With mine, I'm saving the interior restoration (beyond the front seats being reupholstered) till after paint and body work is done. You will likely muck up and damage the interior if you're doing major bodywork. Another idea would be sourcing used interior parts from cruiserparts.net, I'm probably sourcing some used brown carpet from them once I can keep my truck from becoming a lake inside after a light rain. I swear there was a company I found on here you could ship your door cards to and they'd put the old hardware on new cards/carpet but I can't for the life of me find it now.

If you chassis isn't rusting, I'd just power wash/degrease it and then coat it in fluid-film. That's what I'm doing with my truck that spent most of it's life in New Mexico.

With body and paint work, I've heard there's no chunking down that process, all in one go or not at all. Most of my estimates for my truck have landed in the $10-$14k range. Do you have any images of the bodywork?

So, TLDR, what's best first logistically and logically? Body rust, Underbody protection, interior rehab, or door rehab?

I would move from 'dirty nasty' to 'dainty' - start with underside/engine/suspension/brakes/axles and anything driveability-related, then move up to electrical and bodywork, and then to fragile things like seats/headliner/door cards.

I would make sure it starts, stops and steers first before putting work into the body, if this is a keeper for you.

1) lift the body, strip the frame sand blast it and properly prime, paint, and seal or just get it hot dip galvanized....expect hot dipping to run about $1000 to $1500.
2. replace the suspension, rebuild/service the engine, transmission, transfer, driveshaft, axles, brakes etc
3. address and paint the body
4. do the interior

I would move from 'dirty nasty' to 'dainty' - start with underside/engine/suspension/brakes/axles and anything driveability-related, then move up to electrical and bodywork, and then to fragile things like seats/headliner/door cards.
Does headliner need to be done when the windows are out? It’s held in by the window gasket, right?

I believe the headliner is only retained by the cargo area side windows and the windshield - and all the other windlace and trim around the various openings.

My Tuffy console sits on top of the heater in the rear. Torfab installed it and I think they make a bracket for it on their website?

9D61AE05-D787-4F25-AA78-945EF8C6F677.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom