Door card restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
eurasiaoverland.com
My front door cards came with speaker holes cut in courtesy of the previous owner. I managed to swap them for a pair of unmolested but shabby door cards. On the 'new' door cards, the vinyl covering is pretty much perfect, but the fibreboard (not sure what it's called in the US) is warped and broken. These door cards are very hard to find as they are a low trim spec sold only on the General Market as far as I know (and perhaps 60 Series 'vans' in Japan). They have no speaker openings, and are cut for the strap-type door handles which in the US you would only see on a 40 Series.

To my question - how feasible is it for an amateur to replace the backing board in the door cards and end up with a new-looking door card? Or does this require special tools/materials to stick the vinyl down to the card between the foam inserts?

Thanks

EO

carefully take off backing board and replace it. you could use an ABS panel and do it that way - or do fiberboard again.

practice on the old door card. peel off the vinyl form old fiberboard. go slow and a heat gun can help. then 3m spray adhesive the used vinly on a new board. use old board as a pattern.

Its a pretty easy job.

My front door cards came with speaker holes cut in courtesy of the previous owner. I managed to swap them for a pair of unmolested but shabby door cards. On the 'new' door cards, the vinyl covering is pretty much perfect, but the fibreboard (not sure what it's called in the US) is warped and broken. These door cards are very hard to find as they are a low trim spec sold only on the General Market as far as I know (and perhaps 60 Series 'vans' in Japan). They have no speaker openings, and are cut for the strap-type door handles which in the US you would only see on a 40 Series.

To my question - how feasible is it for an amateur to replace the backing board in the door cards and end up with a new-looking door card? Or does this require special tools/materials to stick the vinyl down to the card between the foam inserts?

Thanks

EO
also Darussalam is an awesome city! my Brother in law was stationed their. Please drink a tuskers for me while completing the job.

I just did my passenger side on my 60. I used dry erase board from Menards. It's a similar material as original (same thickness as well I think) but the white erase surface seems to stiffen it up. I used old backer as a template and then re covered with the original material. Not a terrible project.

Thanks guys, the only challenge it seems will be getting hardboard sheets out here as I don't think the material is used here much. I will investigate.
also Darussalam is an awesome city! my Brother in law was stationed their. Please drink a tuskers for me while completing the job.
This had me thrown for a while... Dar es Salaam is in Tanzania. I'm in Brunei Darussalam, a small kingdom in Borneo where Tuskers are a bit thin on the ground!

Thanks guys, the only challenge it seems will be getting hardboard sheets out here as I don't think the material is used here much. I will investigate.

This had me thrown for a while... Dar es Salaam is in Tanzania. I'm in Brunei Darussalam, a small kingdom in Borneo where Tuskers are a bit thin on the ground!
Ahhh the ignorance of an American!

Look for 3mm ABS sheet - it’s a flexible plastic that is very similar to fiberboard but water proof.

Edit:
Even better option. Buy these and wrap the stock vinyl over it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom