What noise is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, was hoping someone could chime in on confirming this issue. Just finished putting this motor in, it came from a wrecked donor vehicle. Started it for the first time today and this is what I hear

First thought I have is did the wreck cause rod knock? Motor ran great before, but it was a pretty bad crash. Any help is appreciated! Cheers

Screenshot_20201212-224346_Drive.jpg

20200922_103435.jpg

It's hard to tell from a video if the noise is internal to the motor or more external.
Have you tried removing the belts to see if there may be a problem with one of the pulleys or idlers?

It's hard to tell from a video if the noise is internal to the motor or more external.
Have you tried removing the belts to see if there may be a problem with one of the pulleys or idlers?
In person its tricky to hear too, to me sounds like the noise definitely coming from the lower end. Thats sounds like a good place to start, Ill give that a go. I guess ive never heard a pulley that bad but It makes sense. thanks!

Obviously a hard hit to the driver side. I can't tell from the video if the alternator and water pump are running true. I would check both as well as the idler below the alternator.

Next step would be a mechanics stethoscope and start narrowing it down.

First step - remove the belts. Is noise still there or did it go away?

^^^^^

First step would be to STOP revving an engine with a suspected knock. ;)

THEN remove the belts to eliminate the possibility of external parts (fan, pulleys, etc) being the issue.

It’s got a few noises but the tick/knock sounds similar to a power steering gear noise. Maybe a bit loud for that but what’s the history of the power steering pump? Have your old one you can toss on there?

Take a long screwdriver, place it where you think the noise is coming from, put your ear on it. You would be amazed how well you can find the spot its coming from.

Obviously a hard hit to the driver side. I can't tell from the video if the alternator and water pump are running true. I would check both as well as the idler below the alternator.

Next step would be a mechanics stethoscope and start narrowing it down.
Thanks for the input, next time im working on it ill definitely take a closer look at that!

Alright, heres an update! I took off all the belts and still heard the knocking/tapping. Then I pulled off the harmonic balancer off and viola the knock is gone! Visually inspecting I didnt see any marks on either side from making contact.. I actually have a spare one but when we put it on there was still a notable knock. All considering I did not put it to torque yet, I discovered its 300ft lbs. My torque wrenches are about half that, any handy tricks for this? Im reading about torque multipliers.
thanks guys!

Is there a groove dug into the face of the oil pump cover, the part covered
by the crank pulley/harmonic balancer when it's installed? Is there any rubber poking out of the rear of the harmonic balancer? Any signs that it was striking the timing cover (or oil pump cover)?

Can you post up a couple photos, showing the front, rear and pulley grooves, of the harmonic balancer you just took off?

Buy, rent, or borrow a torque wrench that goes to 600, tighten the crank pulley bolt to 304 ft lbs.

I am very worried about you running the engine less the balancer. The sound may not present itself but a safer option would be to pull the coil wire and bump the engine over with the starter. Then move to cranking it over with the starter and see if you can here a similar noise. It may kick the CEL on but that is better than results possible from running without a damper. Most likely the front bearing in the PS pump.

Last edited:
Do NOT run it again until the harmonic balancer is installed and torqued properly! Your engine oil pump is driven from that.

That said, if the noise is gone, it points to the power steering pump gear being damaged with gouges on the teeth of the gear. It is also driven by the harmonic balancer being properly torqued.

So, power steering pump drive gear damage.

Inspect the balancer and put it back on and torque it to 306. If the noise is still persistent remove the power steering pump and put a rag so the oil doesn't spill out then start it again. Make sure the rag is not going to touch the gears.

Torque the balancer. If the noise is still present pull the PS pump. Inspect the gear on the pump. Turn the pump and feel for bearing issues within the pump (they can be rebuilt and Toyota offers a kit). Use brake cleaner to clean the mounting flange on the block for the PS pump and Duct tape it off. Start the engine and see if the sound is present.

Any update?

Do NOT run it again until the harmonic balancer is installed and torqued properly! Your engine oil pump is driven from that.

That said, if the noise is gone, it points to the power steering pump gear being damaged with gouges on the teeth of the gear. It is also driven by the harmonic balancer being properly torqued.

So, power steering pump drive gear damage.
Spot on, thanks for all the info! Upon moving the motor over I discovered the power steering pump housing was cracked in half. So I replaced it with the spare one I had.

Torque the balancer. If the noise is still present pull the PS pump. Inspect the gear on the pump. Turn the pump and feel for bearing issues within the pump (they can be rebuilt and Toyota offers a kit). Use brake cleaner to clean the mounting flange on the block for the PS pump and Duct tape it off. Start the engine and see if the sound is present.
This sounds like my next project. You guys rock!

Can you post up some photos of the power steering pump, would like to see where it cracked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom